Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 12 year old kitty (Chica) was recently diagnosed with severe degenerative arthritis in both knees. The vet said it was the worst case he'd ever seen, and if it wasn't bilateral (back legs) he would have thought bone cancer wiped out the joint. She was initially give a morphine derivative (sublingual) for a week to give the Metacam (an anti-inflammatory med) a chance to do some work. She's on Metacam 3-4x a week and they had me start her on a glucosamine/chondroltin supplement.

Here are my questions:

1) she LOATHES the supplement. I bought the PetMeds version - capsules you open and (they say) sprinkle on food. Even when mixed with "tuna juice" (her absolute favorite) she won't take it all - so she's not getting that and I don't know if she's taking in her dose of metacam (on those days she gets it, I mix it both in.) Does anyone know of a glucosamine/chondroltin supplement that doesn't taste so bad to cats, or that I can, well, pin her down and give it orally? I tried the chicken treats that have it in them and she wouldn't touch them

2) I can tell she's still in pain (dialated pupils, she kicks out her leg when she lies down, etc) - plus I've had her for 12 years, she's expressive and I understand what she's trying to get across. I'm considering talking to the vet about a long term pain management program, ie a small maintenance dose of the narcotics. I would rather have her live a few less years and be comfortable - I hate to see her in pain. Would a vet consider this?

I appreciate any advice or guidance on this - I really want to help her.

PS I ordered Synflex - has anyone tried that/know anything about it?

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Hello. Before I got to the end of your post I was thinking...I need to tell her about the synflex. My siamese is 14 and has arthritis in his back legs as well. I have been using it for about a month and I have definitely noticed a difference. I don't think he is a big fan of the taste, but it's so much easier to give him because it's in liquid form. I feel for your kitty and I hope so much that the synflex works for your kitty as much as it has for my kitty!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.