Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our cat Pipsqueak has been sneezing a lot the past couple days. Today he's just sneezing all the time, and his eyes are kind of squitched up like they're itchy, and he's less energetic than usual. He wants to be asleep on me or at least cuddled up with me whatever I'm doing today. He's acting JUST like the kids when they have allergies! We have storms blowing in, so it makes sense whatever's bugging him would get stirred up.

HTH do I treat cat allergies?
: I mean, I'm sure he'd appreciate a bowl of chicken noodle soup just as much as the kids do, but I don't think it will really help him much.
Realistically, if it were me or the kids, I probably wouldn't give anything OTC for what I'm seeing in him...but what can I do for the little fellow?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Really just monitor him and make sure he keeps eating and drinking. If he seems conjested, take him in the bathroom when you take hot showers.

You haven't changed foods or applied pesticides outside or bought a new household cleaner?

If he gets real mucusy, and you see weird colors (green yellow, etc) he may need to see a vet, as that's probably a bacterial infection.

Hope he feels better soon!

~Julia

·
Registered
9,037 Posts
It isn't necessarily allergies, he could have just caught a cold/virus. Have you noticed any of this behavior before. Any skin issues? Itching/flaking?

·
Registered
940 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlutgendorf View Post
Really just monitor him and make sure he keeps eating and drinking. If he seems conjested, take him in the bathroom when you take hot showers.

Cats and dogs don't have the same sinus symptoms as we do when they have environmental allergies. Cat colds, however, are pretty common and usually nothing to worry about. As jlutgendorf, just keep an eye on him to make sure there's no really icky discharge.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. He seems to be feeling better today. I haven't heard any sneezes yet, but he hasn't come in for his morning love yet either. lol There was no mucus or anything, just cold/allergy symptoms. I guess maybe next time I'll go ahead and give him a little chicken soup while I'm taking a shower.
:

We did just move in with my mom for a couple months while we close out the old house and shop for land for the new one. So, his entire environment has changed. We all have reactive issues at my mom's because she waits till things are awful to clean, then uses the most insanely strong chemicals she can find...plus she uses tons of hairspray and junk, and the bathroom is right next to our room. We need to get her set up so she can live without our help though, so staying somewhere else isn't really an option. She's not 100% self-reliant anymore, you know?

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
Some cats do exhibit upper respiratory symptoms of allergies, similar to humans.

My cat used to get sneezy, with watery eyes. I'd take her to the vet, who diagnosed it as an upper respiratory infection. Next, year, same story. Finally, the vet looked carefully at her chart, commented that the cat had the same symptoms at the same time of year every year and said, "I think we're dealing with an allergy."

He told me to get dye-free Benadryl and give her a very small amount. I don't remember the dose, but it was something like a quarter teaspoon. It helped! Completely eliminated the symptoms.

I will try to find the dosage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.