Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
: One of my outside cats the spayed female Cookie went missing for 2 weeks.
When she disappeared she weighed at least 12 pds probably more. She now weighs in at a horribly low 5pds maybe (just guessing since I havnt weighed her yet but she feels like just a fur ball) I thought she was gone for sure. She showed back up yesterday. I have given her dry cat food that she at ate maybe one bite of. She has eaten a half a can of tuna. And I just mixed some cooking oil with dry food and warmed up hot dog weiny. Normally she would scarf down food like that in a hurry but she is just so run down.

I couldnt see any injury and she isnt showing signs of runny nose or goopy eyes. She is however staggering in her rear end
It reminds me of my 8yo cat that I lost to kidney failure the only difference is my other cat was drinking tons and peeing tons. Cookie is not doing that. It could be that she is so run down from not eating making her stagger tho but I would think she would eat more than she is.

Is there anything else I can give her to encourage her to eat?? Vitamins maybe.

I would love to be able to take her to the vet but I know that would cost around $100 because she would do blood work.
I cannot afford that at all right now and the vets here do NOT take payments they are rural vets and they cant afford to. I know she is my responsability and I see them like my kids but my kids have insurance that cover visits my cats dont.

Any advice would be most appriciated.

ETA I forgot to add her age she is 7-8yo not sure exactly. But I know very close.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Could be fatty liver. Look in the corner of her eye where it should be white--is it yellow? If you can't ger her to eat and the vet is not an option, force-feed her anything you can get into her. The tuna is good. Try some canned cat food through an oral syringe, or mix broth with raw egg, sugar, and cream (yeah, I know the cream isn't good for her, but right now the key is calories and palatability--if you have evaporated milk, use that instead).

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
She's probably dehydrated. If you can't get her drinking or eating watered down wet food, she needs some fluids. The good news is that cats actually respond well to sub Q fluids. How long has she been back?
My plan of attack would be as follows.
Replace her water with pedialyte and see if you can get her drinking--if you can't, syringe 2 cc's every 3 hours into her mouth.
Offer lots of different things--even milk--it's not ideal but if she'll drink it, you can wean down the milk with water later.
If by tomorrow mid day she isn't picking up, go to the vet and say "I can't afford blood work but want to give her a chance, can you please do sub q fluids so we can see if she rallies"

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
If she is at least eating a bite or two every day, there's a minimal chance of fatty liver. It's possible she's just really tired and needs to spend energy healing. Make sure she's at least getting a bite or two of food daily and that she's drinking. I read somewhere that many animals will self fast when they are sick or tired.

Most cats will eat baby food when they won't eat anything else. I think the pureed food just intuitively seems easier to digest. Look for the chicken or turkey only baby food and make sure that there's no onions on the label.

One thing about tuna -- it's great in an emergency, but some cats get spoiled on it and will hold out for it. It is not a good food to feed repeatedly since it depletes B vitamins over time and there's been known cases of cats fed tuna regularly who exhibited symptoms of what the vet thought was a neurological disease.

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much for the suggestions. I had forgotten about eggs. I have to run to the store and get some but that isnt a problem. Yea tuna is emergency or treat only around here. I tend to use it if one of my toms stays gone more than a few days as a reward for coming back home.

I am going to get some canned cat food as well I usually dont feed it since it costs more and they dont really need it to thrive. I am thawing out some chicken legs right now and hopefully she will eat some of that. I also put some milk out for her. Another thing I dont give often. If I can just get her eating I will give her anything
She is such a sweet cat and I wish she could be a indoor one but my 12yo indoor cat goes nuts.

I have actually let her in because it is so cold here and put Stimpy in her room (we are in the process of retraining her to the litter box) I let her out she dosnt attack Cookie but walks the floor and hisses. I hate doing that to her but I have to try and get Cookie well.

Good news is she actually ate 3-4 pieces of the hot dog wiener I cut up for her
and some of the oil soaked food as well.

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will add catnip to my list to buy for her.

I set her up with 2 different beds so she could choose. She has a cat carrier so that she can get in and feel safe, that I put the foam I cut up out of a couch cushion lining the bottom and the sides. And I also gave her a box with old clothing and made a deep nest out of it. She seemed very cozy a few minutes ago.

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
About the same as yesterday. No worse tho thank goodness. Her eyes are bright and she has been drinking and eating a tiny bit. And she will "talk" to me. I think she has a pretty good shot at getting better if nothing else happens.

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you frog I will add that to the list.

I just weighed her on my baby scale and she is at 6.65 pds
that is half of what she was when she dissapeared.

Here is a slideshow with all my cats Cookie is in the last 2 pictures There is a discription at the top of each picture.

I am not sure what you call a cat that is colored like she is.
The woman who gave her to me shen she was around 6-8months old, thought she was ugly but I think that she is very unique and actually beautiful.

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just wish she would eat more
it worries me to see her so unsteady on her feet. I will give her till friday to show a major improvement then I will take her to the vet. and get some fluids put in her.

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update:

I went and got her some can cat food and a bunch of other things. She ate some of the canned food.
but she is down to 6.5 pds now

·
Registered
9,037 Posts
Any chance you can take her to a vet....what has me worried to is the fact that she's not steady on her feet. I had a cat a long while back I had to euthanize (kidney failure) and he had been losing weight, but then a few times I saw him stagger after he would jump on things...like he was loosing his footing. That was my first big sign something was wrong...I went over and checked him out and then noticed that he was definitely thinner as well. Took him in the vet the next day and the blood tests showed what was going on.

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did have a cat die from kindney failure first sign was the staggering. I want to take her in but dh is opposed to it and honestly we do not have the $ right now. I know that sounds awfull and some might say I bet you would take her if she was your kid.
the fact is with the kids if I dont have the co pay the dr will still see them but with the cat it wont work that way.

She has lost another oz.

·
Registered
560 Posts
force feed

Mix the canned cat food until it it soupy (or use chicken baby food), and pour it into her mouth with a spoon (or a syringe, if you have one). Don't really give her an option of spitting it out. Do this alot, eventually, it will help.

I had a chinchilla almost die from Giardia a few years ago. Even after I got the meds from the vet to clear the Giardia, she still wouldn't eat and kept losing weight. She went from 650 grams (before the giardia) to 295 grams after starting the meds. I thought she just wasn't hungry. Then I watched her try and eat and she just couldn't, she was too weak. So I soaked her pellets with water and mixed in some nutrical and spoon fed her once an hour and she came back. After a few days, she started eating her pellets on her own, and within a few months, was back to her original weight. I still can't believe she came out of it, she was so sick.

I don't know what else to tell you, never really dealt with a cat who wouldn't eat before. I just remember with the chinchilla, the vet just telling me to get food into her any way I could.

Dawn

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I got together enough $ to take her in since nothing I was doing was making a differance
She actually gagged just smelling food this morning.

The vet did blood work and she was in the end stages of kidney failure
this is the second 8yo cat that I have lost to that both healthy and happy one inddor 100% the other outdoor 100% so I know it isnt related. The vet was really stumped on that since at 8yo they are not even old cats yet. *sigh*

Thank you for all your help. I wish I could have reported better news but it wasnt to be. She is burried on the hill side with all my other fur babies.

R.I.P. Cookie 1998-2006

1 - 20 of 24 Posts