Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just told that I need a CAT scan for my reoccurring sinus infections. I was about to schedule one when DH mentioned that CAT scans are the leading cause of cancer. Now I'm wondering if I should just take whatever med the doc was going to prescribe and skip the scan. I've had a few long time ago on a different part of my body - actually once I had a whole body scan with the barium drink and injection....I think maybe I've had too much stuff done to me when I was younger and I don't want to risk doing more to my body if that means entering the realm of risking getting cancer. That, and my DH's friend, who is 33yo, just found out that he has cancer...so now our radar is really on alert. My hearing is being affected by the infection, but I'd rather endure the pain and go deaf than get cancer...maybe I'm going a bit overboard, but I want to make sure I'm not putting myself in additional risk. I'm so opposed to taking drugs that I forget that other procedures carry risks too...

·
Premium Member
10,793 Posts
Your husband is incorrect. CAT scan is not the leading cause of cancer.<br><br><a href="http://www.abcnews.go.com/Health/CancerPreventionAndTreatment/story?id=3927117&page=1" target="_blank">http://www.abcnews.go.com/Health/Can...3927117&page=1</a><br><br><div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">And while radiologists agree that there are cancer risks associated with CT scans, they say that no controlled epidemiological studies have been done to show how great this risk is.<br><br>
"There is no definitive evidence to suggest the risk is as bad as they state," says Dr. Carl Schultz, professor of clinical emergency medicine at the University of California Irvine School of Medicine. "I'm not saying radiation is good. I am saying we have absolutely no idea what the real lifetime risk from CTs is."</td>
</tr></table></div>
Personally, I wouldn't worry about for 1 test.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts