Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really hoping that someone here can help. I have a female (spayed) indoor / outdoor cat. Our home is visited almost daily by a neighborhood male cat who sprays: all over our porch, yard and driveway. I have never caught him in the act, but have glimpsed him from afar a couple of times. Any ideas how to discourage this behavior and / or how to get rid of the *nasty*, *nasty* smell?

Warmly,
Michelle in NY

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
<aybe they like people withthe name MIchele

We are having the same problem is a stray though ( i think) and it has even sprayed in our garage.. I want to get a humane cage to catch it though i know itll get put down by the animal shelter however im about over this darn thing stinking up the outside of my house and especially now that i have a baby

Michele
WWW.NAturalFamilyliving.net

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Urine Erase works for the smell. One thing that may keep these cats away is amonia soaked rags in a plastic bag with holes poked in it, place the bags in the areas that the cat is peeing. Some people have sucess wtih using dog hair as a deterent. Talk to your local dog groomer, they are usually happy to give you a bag of fur, lay it around your perimeter and in the areas the cat is spraying.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I was going to say get a dog, if that's an option. :LOL

We have 3 cats and our dog doesn't let any other cats near our home.

Our male cat has sprayed in our home before (in dd's closet, ick). I can't let him in the house anymore because of it, so I was hoping that someone had some advice on how to stop the spraying when it's your own cat....?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Yep, he's fixed. I think being neutered helps the problem but not entirely unfortunately. His pee still smells, although luckily the smell isn't noticeable outside. We have 3 cats (the other two are girls) so I assume it is a claiming territory thing. He sprayed in dd's closet (all over her stuffed animals which I had to individually scrub and machine-wash (several times each)
:
This happened right after we moved so maybe he was staking his claim early. Now that we've been here a few years I wonder if he would still do it, but I'm really hesitant to find out.

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
For those of you whose own cats are spraying, try adding some organic dried catnip to their food everyday. Spraying is a stress and control thing in cats (unless they have a bladder infection) and the catnip sometimes mellows them just enough. If that fails, alot of people have good luck with cats on Elavil, but that means a vet visit and meds--catnip is a good first step.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.