Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ese NEVER catch poop? dd is 3 months old and pretty good w/ signalling for pees, but her poops come completely out of the blue- never a warning. Everyone else seems to have opposite experience! I want to switch to cotton training pants after I start catchong poos, but will it ever happen?

·
Registered
485 Posts
catching poop with my 4 month old girl. She really really needs to relax to poop I've noticed, and it takes her a while so when i hold her over the toilet to go she gets tired of being held in the position and complains so I let it go. I notice when I put her down in the swing or bouncy chair and go do a chore for 5-10 minutes when I come back she will have had a poopsplosion. It's like she will save it up and save it up on the days where I am trying really vigilantly to catch it- but the second I leave her alone and forget about trying to catch it she unloads.

Anyway I'll be looking forward to any suggestions you get because I'm not catching poo over here either.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I know w're up for a BIG one! DS hasn't gone in 2 days... everytime he looks like he's ready to go I pop him on the Bjorn and then... nothing!
He totally loses his concentration I guess. He's been having a lot of gas which I know is a sign he has to go.. but Im so determined to catch it this time. I just *know* if we catch one he'll understand that the potty is for pee AND poo!

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Do you guys have a seperate cue for poop?? And I'd try nursing on the potty while cuing a poop....just a suggestion. Fill 'em up good with a big feed, then potty and nurse, cue for a poop, and be prepared to sit for a while.

I also find my guy won't poop while being held...he needs to be sitting on his own (I can support him though).

·
Registered
52 Posts
For us, it is hard for me or DD to relax if I try to hold her over the toilet. We use these other methods: on the little round potty bowl, or over the bathroom sink (I keep it cleaned), or even over a diaper spread under her , with the lenght of the diaper pointing away from us. Pointing away because her poop comes out in a spout, and kind of drops onto the diaper in a line shape. (Hope I am not grossing y'all out here, my apologies!) In any of these situations, I give her as much support from my body as possible, i.e., hands under her thighs, her back leaning against my chest or tummy, and sometimes - if we are squatting outside - also holding her hips with my inner thighs. One other thing that has worked very well with her from the time she was 5 days old is where I sit on the toilet, all the way back (our toilet seat is rleatively small, not long like in some public rest rooms), and place her at the front of the opening, between my legs, with my hands still under her thighs, and her back still against my tummy. I saw a picture of this method at Diaper Free Baby. Just click "Pottying Positions". We make both the pee and the poop sound, and she gets right to work. She will wail if I pick her up when she still has to go some more. She does kind of pelvic thrusts when she feels she is done, or if I ask her and she feels she is done. When things seemed to be stalled, I would sometimes wipe her in between little poops, and this seemed to stimulate her to poop some more. She then went through a phase of insisting that I wipe in between every little bit of pee or poop. This was very cute,
yet I am glad it was just a phase.

I hope something from this will be useful to you. It is wonderful that you have been able to do so well with the pees! We have only just gotten to where we don't have many pee misses.

·
Premium Member
5,536 Posts
No advice, but it took us 4 months, almost 5 to get to the point where we are consistently catching poos. I hope that is not discouraging, I just want you to know it will come!
It got a lot easier when dd started to eat solids and stopped pooping so often.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Im also thinking solid poop might be easier to catch? BF poop comes out SO fast and quick I always barely miss it.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
My son is a little older (8 mos) and we've only "caught" two so far - and he only goes every two-three days or so, so I'm no expert but...

With solids it's fairly obvious when he's trying to go - takes a little more um...work. There's quite a bit of noise beforehand too.

We give him a toy to play with and shut the bathroom door (with one of us in there with him), and sit behind him, or him facing the wall so he can't see us.

That's how we usually knew he was pooping before ECing - he would crawl behind something (I guess for privacy?) and poop while staring REALLY HARD at a toy. He's usually not into his toys, so that's how we knew..."Hey honey, look - he likes the rattle again! Or not..."

·
Registered
306 Posts
we catch poops most of the time--and have since about 5 weeks--ds (5.5 mo) nurses a LOT and when he can't focus and keeps popping on and off the boob, we know it;s time to go sit him on the bjorn. We grunt and massage his belly and we used to sit him on the bathroom counter, but nowadays that's too distracting. he usually poops just before i think i've misread him and take him off. I try to slowly count to 200 in my head to make sure i give him a good amount of time to settle in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts