Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had two natural deliveries of large babies (10lb4 and 11lb1) and am tall but small built. Both times the midwife (CNM in hospital) did a catheter (just insert and remove) as I began the pushing stage. She said she doesn't like to do the intervention but wanted as much room for the birth as possible. I really don't wait it this time (due in Nov) but is it really something that could make a difference?? I would love to hear opinions.

·
Registered
6,956 Posts
The bladder often can't empty as the baby comes down into the pelvis, and a full bladder can keep baby from being born. Also, the baby pushing on a full bladder isn't good for the bladder!
Reasons to avoid a catheter include risk of infection and the pain of insertion.
It seems like something to decide on if the bladder is full at the time of pushing. If its full and you can't pee yourself, a catheter seems like a reasonable option if you want. If it's not full or you can empty it on your own, a catheter seems silly.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Apricot View Post
If its full and you can't pee yourself, a catheter seems like a reasonable option if you want. If it's not full or you can empty it on your own, a catheter seems silly.
That's why at homebirths we are encouraging clients to empty their bladder regularly... a full bladder can also keep the uterus from clamping down after the birth increasing the risk of postpartum hemorrhage, so encouraging moms to void regularly has multiple benefits.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts