Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to having a cat and a baby at the same time. So I'm wondering if cats have some sort of 'sense' about babies. My 8m.o. absolutely mauls our kitten. He grabs handsful of fur, pulls, pinches, and tries to nibble on it's tail and the cat does NOTHING! If I, on the other hand, stroke it one too many times I get a nip on the hand! What gives? Why is kitty so patient with the baby and such the fickle feline with me? And if the baby fusses and the older cat's around, she comes and gives me mean looks until I can go pick him up (this usually happens while I'm in the bathroom), otherwise she's indefferent to him! Anybody else?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I've noticed it too. When my youngest cousin was born, we had an old, cantankerous tiger cat who *adored* the baby. She would hop into my lap when I held him, and somehow never scratch him when she landed. When my cousin was older, he became best friends with another of our cats, who tended to be a bully. But she'd follow him around, let him pull on her, poke her, everything else, and never once snapped at him.

Now that I'm pregnant, our four cats will NOT leave me alone.
I have one in particular, a young male, who loves to sprawl with his upper half on my bump, and purr so loud, I'm sure the baby can hear him.

So I'm not sure what it is, but yes, babies and cats seem to have a love for each other. At least that's been my experience. It is a little weird, isn't it?

·
Premium Member
4,858 Posts
OUr mean old queen bee cat is a purebred beauty who knows it. Well, she started sleeping on my tummy and vibrating the baby to sleep. When ds was born at home, she was the only one of 3 cats to come visit. Then anytime he cries, she comes and yells at us until we make him stop, and gives us mean looks like we're pinching her baby! She always wants to cuddle with his blanket, and doesn't mind too much when he pulls her hair out. And she always watches from the corner of the carpet when he plays, like big sis watching her baby bro.

Our other old lady cat, on the other hand, whom the baby just would love to get his hands on, just came over about a week ago to meet DS in person and voluntarily. He's nearly 6 mos old!

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
I've decided that my cat has suddenly realized babies have a milk smell about them and, therefore, are utterly irresistable. Either that or it just seems really cool to have one of those human types around who's not big enough to be in any way considered domineering.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hi I had to pipe in on this - my 2 old kitties let my dd climb all over them & they just lay down for it & yeah if I did what dd does I would be in big trouble! Yesterday dd was really going to town on the old boy & he just got up walked over to the other kitty & smacked her! So I think dd is the leader of the pack now

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
I think that when they live with people cats tend to accept the people as fellow (if lesser
) cats.
I know when we used to have a lot of cats, the big tough old tom would let the little kittens crawl all over him or steal from his bowl while he was eating or chew on his ears. Any adult cat that even looked at him too hard would get swatted.
I'm guessing your cats see the babies as kittens.
When the kids are older they probably won't be as tolerant, but by then the children will be able to understand the rules.

When some of our cats were pregnant, a young male from the previous litter would often be something like a midwife to them, hanging around all the time, sitting through the birth even, and watching the kittens anytime she left for a moment.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
It depends on the cat. WHen Kai was born, my female cat Gwen was very loving and patient with him...but she was with everybody. She was my baby...and she passed away when Kai was 2.
Our other cat Foot hated Kai. Pissed on all his stuff and would put his ears back and hiss at him. We finally kicked him out and he's an indoor/outdoor cat now. He actually punctured a vein in Kai's forehead once. Talk about panic. I almost beat that cat, but I'm not down with animal cruelty. Anyhoo...they are buddy buddy now that Kai is 4. Foot stays away from the new baby at all costs. He just hates kids...except Kai.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
DH has had his cat for 10+ years. Two of his ex-girlfriends had young children. His cat absolutely hated them (these were toddlers and preschoolers I belive) and would hide under a table and hiss at them when they came around. To be fair, one little boy would be mean to her.
Fast forward to our child. She actually places herself near her. When DD started to crawl, she was fascinated by the cat. She would crawl up to her and grab on tight to her fur (we would intervene and tell her to be gentle and show her the proper way to pet, she is finally getting the hang of that). There were times when we couldn't get to her in time and it would result in the cat running with her trailing behind, fur in hand. The cat has never ever bit her or hissed at her. The cat will still lie down near DD. DD remains fascinated with her, this morning after saying "Hi mommy" to me (DH got her up when she awoke) she immediately went over to the cat "Hi Fig, Hi Fig, Hi Fig" and got in her face. Fig didn't seem to mind.
She seemed to know that this baby was a member of her family and needed to be treated well.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
My 14 year old cat Tia will hiss and grumble and eventually smack a full grown cat that bothers her, but has seemingly infinite patience with a kitten. If a kitten bothers/hurts her, she just tries to get out of the way of the pain.

Years ago when we brought home Enki (Enki has since died of a heart problem), Enki would abuse her. He just would not let up on her. We tried to encourage her to put him in his place, but she was just so careful with him because he was little. One day, while putting her paw up to protect her face from his attack, he cut her paw very badly. It got infected and she had to go to the vet, get anesthetized, have the infection cleaned out, get stitched up, and take antibiotics. She was so ill she couldn't do much. We were working all day and couldn't stay home to protect her from him. So, we set up in our bedroom some food and water and kitty litter, and let her stay locked in there all day while we were gone. I felt bad keeping her locked up, but she was sick enough she was just glad for the peace and quiet.

Even after all of that, she still tolerated Enki's violent behavior.

The moral of the story is: cats are capable of tolerating huge amounts of suffering in order to avoid harming a kitten/baby.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Our 10 year old meany CatCat (who I used to joke was plotting to kill me in my sleep) loves DS. If DS starts bleating, CatCat comes running, jumping over hurdles she nevvvver normally crosses to stick her face in his face and see what's going on. DS pulls and pushes at her (supervised of course) and she just purrs and purrs. This is a cat I don't even remember picking up in the last 5 years - she always prefers to be left alone.

Thankfully the love DS has for CatCat is mutual!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Our cat has always been like that. He's been around for all four kids and he's so good with them as babies until about 2 years old.

Then at age 2, when he gets annoyed he'll give them a light nip (doesn't leave a mark). Usually they get the picture, plus we are able to teach them better at that age (they understand so much more).

So I think he must have a 'sense' b/c he seems to change his response as they grow.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by edamommy View Post
please don't allow your child to "maul" your kitten. Sooner or later the cat WILL bite and/or scratch the child!

yes, animals usually are patient with babies... that's USUALLY!
:
I'm quite sure all of us try to be on top of baby-to-kitteh-contact. But I'm not always in arms reach. Baby crawls around, kitteh comes to baby, but I don't bring kitty and baby together and lock them in a play pen cage-match style! LOL! I do try to nip it in the bud; my niece was bitten as a baby and got a horrible infection in her finger!

Thanks for all the replies!

·
Registered
656 Posts
My rather bitey cat Chess (name is really Kitty though, at least that's all we call him) stopped biting almost totally the DAY we brought DS home, He just totally mellowed. He'll till nip at *me* if I'm bugging him, but the worst he'll do to DS is swat at him with a velvet paw (and that's only when grandly provoked). DS loves him so much. Just like I loved my kitties when I was his age. Awwww!

·
Registered
303 Posts
YES!!!!!!!!! Our very shy kitty is quite concerned about the well-being of our new baby. When she cries, the kitty comes and sits next to her, and wants to be on my lap with her when i nurse.

It's very endearing.

I love these cat stories! Excellent Post!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.