Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cats are pretty good hunters, and every few days, I open the back door to find a dead mouse or rat or, sometimes, a pigeon, they've brought us.<br><br>
I clean up the little carcasses, and I'm all freaked out about whatever germs they might have. (West Nile? Hanta?)<br><br>
A friend shared an idea that makes me feel much better. She suggests having a spray bottle with a bleach solution and spraying the dead animal, really wetting it down, before picking anything up.<br><br>
I know bleach isn't the gentlest chemical in the world, but I like the idea of bleach better than the idea of Hanta virus!<br><br>
Any ideas for any more natural -- but effectively germicidal -- solution to put in my spray bottle?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
754 Posts
I would worry about the cat eating the sprayed dead rodent.<br><br>
How about a Tea Tree oil solution made strong? I hate bleach.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Kimmysue2. Tea Tree Oil sounds like a good idea.<br><br>
(Don't worry abt the cat eating the bleached rodent. It won't be lying around all bleach-y. I'd spray it just prior to picking it up and putting it in the trash.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
572 Posts
i would recommend against tea tree oil, i recently accidently poisoned our kitten by using tea tree oil on its ringworm lesions, we had to put her to sleep.. look it up tea tree oil is highly toxic to cats even in small amounts
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,119 Posts
Are you wanting to clean the ground that the animal laid on?? Our cats did this all the time when I was younger and lived at home. all we did was use an old grocery sack to pick it up with . . . so your hands don't come in direct contact with the dead animal. Then we'd put it in the field behind our house to decompose naturally.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,270 Posts
I work in wildlife rehab. As long as you don't touch the carcasses, you should be fine. Just use a paper bag (or plastic if they're wet with somethin' ewwww!) and either throw in the trash or in a field to decompose. You can get the Hanta virus by breathing in the dust of old dried-up mouse poop, not likely to be present on a fresh corpse.<br><br>
ETA: a little diluted bleach sprayed on the area, if it's something like your bedroom floor, etc. will help. Just leave it on for about 20 minutes if you're going to wipe it off afterwards.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top