Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just read an article about cat's during pregnancy, labor and birth. http://gentlebirth.org/archives/spiritl.html#Cats (go down to cats at birth).

My cat has always shown me extra attention when I am pregnant. She prefers my lap when I'm pregnant and likes to sleep across my belly at night. We got a new cat several months ago, and my cat we've had for 10 years felt displaced. She refused to come into our bedroom. My cat finally made it back to my bedroom to sleep on me before I miscarried... So I truly believe cats know and are more sensitive to pregnant/laboring mothers.

Does anyone else have any stories?

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Yeah, my male cat (neutered) tries to hump me when I'm pregnant! Especially the first time, when I was pregnant with a girl. This time, with a boy, he has only tried it a couple of times.

And if you've ever seen cats mating, you know that this involves claws. Ouch.

·
Registered
852 Posts
My cats (devon rex) don't seem to act any different when I'm pregnant except that they seem to like the perch (my big ol' belly). I think they're still focused on trying to stay out of my dd's way. LOL

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
One of my cats was SO attached to me during my labor. He would follow me around, rub against my legs... during contractions he'd let me grab him and squeeze. I called him my furry doula ~laughs~ He really helped me through the labor.

·
Registered
12,040 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by amydidit View Post
One of my cats was SO attached to me during my labor. He would follow me around, rub against my legs... during contractions he'd let me grab him and squeeze. I called him my furry doula ~laughs~ He really helped me through the labor.
I'm really laughing about the furry doula comment

I really think cats know too. My shy cat has been staying really close to me ever since I got preg. She's always trying to sit on my belly and she's not a lap cat at all. When I was preg with DS my cats flocked to me, they wouldn't leave me alone!

I'm curious to see how my cats act during labor this time, last time I gave birth in a hospital, this time it will be a homebirth.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
I forgot to say also, both of my cats-- the male and the female-- seem to enjoy my elevated body temperature during pregnancy. They get more into cuddling, for longer.

·
Registered
16,500 Posts
My cat is the purriest friendliest chubby bastard ever. It'll be neat to see how he reacts to labor.

On the other hand, because of him and his having punctured not one but TWO birth balls, I may have to go with an Aqua Doula rather than a cheaper inflatable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.