Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 1 month trial with the 2 cats gone from our home and I am hoping to see drastic results in allergies for my son. He is 17 months old and has had eczema for a year now. We don't know for certain what the culprit is but probably a combination of cats, pollen, food.<br><br>
So am I likely to see changes in a month? We have been in our home for a year, prior to that there were no pets here. There is carpet in only 1 room and we can keep the door shut, the cats didn't spend much time in there. All our other floors are hard surfaces. We washed the 2 sets of curtains that we have, the rest of our windows are uncovered. WE don't have much stuffed furniture, but I am considering getting it steam cleaned if I can find a place that doesn't use chemicals. We are going to change the filters on the air conditioner, possibly have the ducts cleaned. We are laundering everything we can in hot water to kill pet dander and dust mites.<br><br>
Am I missing anything? I really hope this accomplishes something, it was difficult to convince my husband to do this short time and unless he sees big improvement he may be unwilling to part with the cats.<br><br>
It really is unfortunate that this coincided with the worst month for airborn allergens outside.<br>
Beth

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Sounds like you have it covered. Are you doing an elimination diet at the same time? Are you keeping your windows and such closed?

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes we have been on an elimination diet for 4 months. At this point I feel like it is something outside his body causing his reactions. WE a;ways keep our windows closed and don't let him play outside. The tree pollen count is very very high.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I know for my DS if I took a major step like that at this time of the year, the increase in pollen would "mask" the results. So, if you don't see the results your hoping for, you may want to keep trying a little longer.<br><br>
Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts