Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason, I have always heard it said that cats cannot see the image on the television. I don't know why this has been said or what the evidence for this claim is. However, I am hear to tell you that at least 2 of my cats can most definitely see the tv.

We record a show from Discovery HD called "Sunrise Earth." It is a nature show, but it has no commentary and is aired without commercials. For 52 minutes, the screen shows nature scenes with the natural sounds. Each episode is filmed in a different location and is filmed during the early morning hours as the sun is rising.

A couple of the episodes feature birds. Lots of birds singing and lots of close up pictures of birds. One of our cats loves these episodes. He has been known to run from the kitchen to the living room when he hears the episode on the tv. He moves to different locations (floor, coffee table, ottoman) to get a better view. He'll put his feet up on the entertainment center to get as close to the tv as possible.

This afternoon, his sister was doing the same thing. She even put her paw on the tv to attack one of the birds on the screen.

The third cat exhibits no interest in the tv at all. Maybe people think cats can't see the tv because they act uninterested in what is on the screen? Perhaps what is really needed is better programming for felines!

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
My dd has a scooby doo video that has a bug running across the screen repetitively. Our kitty virtually attacks the screen.......we watch it often.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenegirl
For some reason, I have always heard it said that cats cannot see the image on the television. I don't know why this has been said or what the evidence for this claim is. However, I am hear to tell you that at least 2 of my cats can most definitely see the tv.
Whoever said that failed to mention it to my cat. Stanley watches NASCAR intently-chasing the cars across the screen. Absolutely flipping hilarious. That was the only reason I got started watching it!

Of course, this is the same cat who will fish dog biscuits out of the box to eat...and stalks horses in the pasture. (um, yeah. Good luck with that one, kitty! I think that's called biting off more than you can chew....)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts