Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>What do you do to pick yourself up when you are in a work slump (other than daydream about quitting over and over again!)? I like my job a lot, but sometimes just get caught in a slump. For me it happens when I am bored with aspects of my project plus overtired. I feel like I just stare at the computer making little progress and waiting for my "hours" to end, but I don't work based on hours. I work based on deliverables so wasting time is just dragging out the process.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Common sense would be get more sleep (near impossible with a baby) and to finish up the boring parts so I can move onto the more exciting things, but this isn't happening as easily as it sounds. Anyone want to share ideas for what works for you?</p>

·
Registered
60 Posts
<p>I find a part of my job that I feel excited about and do something creative with it.  Like, I started a women's group with a new type of therapy that was interesting to me or right now, I'm writing a weekly blog and working on a book project.  So, doing something creative with my skills helps me, hope that 's helpful to you!</p>

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
<p>I  just returned from a conference and feel much more energized.  Met lots of educated, professional mamas like myself and left feeling very positive about my career path.  Would a conference or workshop be feasible for you?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm also finding ways to get more creative with my job.  I work in environmental policy, which can be very adult-focused and actually somewhat boring at times.  I recently started a family nature club in my area so I could still carry out my mission with adults but do it through family-based outdoor activities.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm in the same boat as you, where I don't get paid based on hours, but on deliverables.  I make a weekly list of things that must be accomplished each day.  Once those things are accomplished, I'm free to do what I want.  So the faster I work, the sooner I can round up DS and head to the beach, the library, the zoo, etc.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'd suggest that you look for ways to reconnect with your professional network and find some ways to get creative.  Good luck!</p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts