Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always had an oversupply of milk. I try to only pump when needed and can often pump 10 oz in about 10 min if ds hasn't eaten for a while. I've spent the past several months careful NOT to stimulate more milk prodcution.<br><br>
Now I'm suddenly having supply problems. We're on vacation and ds is sick. At first I thought I was just tired but have gotten more sleep. I'm staying hydrated. There's no sign that I'm starting to ovulation or get my cycle back. I'm nursing and pumping as often as possible. After 7 months, why would my supply dip so suddenly? Any ideas? I'm so frustrated and just want to understand what's going on.

·
Registered
251 Posts
some factors that can cause low milk supply include stress, dehydration, over-use of cold compresses, scheduled feedings, supplementagion (pacifier, bottle, or formula), and poor latch.<br><br>
can i ask what makes you think you're having supply issues? the following signs are NOT adequate indicators of milk supply:<br>
-how much you can pump<br>
-feeling of fullness in the breast<br>
-behaviour of baby (crying after feeding, pulling away at breast, etc).<br><br>
if your baby is gaining enough weight and wetting enough diapers than you are producing enough milk! trust your body and your instincts.<br><br>
good luck<br>
rowan

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Are you sure your supply is lower or could it be a growth spurt? Make sure you drink lots of water and encourage him to nurse often.<br><br>
good luck<br><br>
-Angela

1 - 3 of 3 Posts