Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm sure this question has been asked a hundred times, but here we go. My DD has been eating significant amounts of solid food for about 2 or 3 months now, needless to say her diapers have gotten much more gross to deal with and I'm curious how other families wash prefolds with icky semi solid baby poop all over them. Especially problematic are the foods that don't really get digested like raisins, beans, corn, etc. I've tried wiping the dipes off with tp which used a lot of toilet paper and didn't even work very well and my question about wiping or scraping diapers is, how do you brace the diaper so you have a hard surface to wipe on? Lately I've been swishing them in the potty, but then there is the dillema of the sopping wet, poopy diaper I have to then transfer to the pail. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
Many folks love the diaper sprayer, but we got disposable liners. Even the disposie-liners can be washed and reused several times.
smile.gif

·
Banned
419 Posts
diaper sprayer. Using the sprayer, I find the solid food diapers easier to clean.

I have a bumgenius sprayer. It hooks onto the back of your toilet - gets water from the tank. You can make one yourself but the BG has really strong pressure that jets off the poop. I've heard home made ones are not as high pressure so they just kind of rinse.

I'm not a fan of the flushable liner. If you end up flushing them they put more strain on your sewage system. I don't like flushable wipes for the same reason.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Our nappy bucket has a snap on lid so I used to bring that over to the toilet if I was swishing, the carry the wet nappy on the lid across to the bucket.

Fleece liners worked well for us, pretty non stick and soft. I also used flushable ones sometimes but they seemed very rough compared to the fleece. I bought some cheep fleece and cut it up, no sewing needed. They are still in use some 5 years on!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I just stick the diaper in the toilet, let it soak for a few seconds, then just grab the edges and kind of scrub the poop off. Letting it sit for a minute seems to loosen everything so it only requires a few seconds of scrubbing to get the solids off. Then I wring it out and throw it in the diaper pail, which we store in the bathroom. Easy-peasy. You have to be fairly comfortable with the ick-factor of plunging your hands in there, I suppose, but it's no big deal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.