Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am expecting baby #2 and live in an apartment. We have laundry facilities but they leave much to be desired so dh takes the laundry and pays for wash/fold by the pound service a block away. I'm wondering what the best way to go about this is and what to buy.

Is it best to get a portable washer and line dry, to take them to the service and let them wash them, or to go ahead to the laundramat and do them myself and if so, how often.

I was thinking of getting a covers, prefolds, and snappis (we are on a budget!)

Any suggestions/advice?

·
Registered
551 Posts
If you can get a portable Id go with that. In my town there is a used appliance store and they sell used 110 volt stackable washers and dryers, so you could plug that kind of plug almost anywhere. They work pretty well too.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I have both used the apt facilities and also done the laundromat thing. If you have enough dipes, the laundromat is totally doable. In fact sometimes I think it is faster because you can do more than one load at once. I never tried the portable washer thing, but that would probablyw ork well too.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
If you have a service available I'd go with a service for a few months until you can get around better with the baby...

I've never used a portable machine.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cullens_Girl
If you have a service available I'd go with a service for a few months until you can get around better with the baby...

I've never used a portable machine.
With our first we had diaper service for the first six months(until she went out of business
) and it was absolute heaven! It was so nice to go out to the front and pick our bag of fresh clean diapers. Loved the diaper service!

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
I'm in an apt and it was cheaper to use sposies then wash at the complex washers or the laundromat. I got a portable washer off freecycle about a week ago and I'm in love! Washes about 2 days worth of diapers. Right now i'm hanging them dry but they are so stiff its painful to touch them so I'm going to fork over the $1 to dry them in the dryer since just throwing them in to soften them doesn't seem to work to well and I dry them with the regular laundry which helps keep costs down too. I will admit that i've been drying them by hanging them on clothes hangers in the apt and not a clothes line so that may be why they are so darn stiff, cause there not blowin in the wind.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.