Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this may be a really dumb question but...

do cloth diapers fit under regular onesies?

or will i have to get infant nightgowns instead?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I sometimes still use onsies but they are a whole size bigger.

All I used when H was a tiny baby were the gowns. Easy to change in the middle of the night!

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Yep, size up for onesies. I have never liked gowns for some reasons, and with C I'm preferring to cut the bottom off of onesies and make them tshirts. He's my only spring baby...the others were born in fall and having to dress them warmly enough was an issue. A t-shirt and diaper are plenty for us at this point in the year.

I will add that if folks give you lots of onesies (or you think they might), let them know that CD babies need bigger sizes a lot faster so that they can just get you them from the get-go.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Or, you could buy onesie extenders.
You can find them online I know, but our local babies R us carries them too.
basically a strip of fabric with male snaps on one side, and female on the other.

They make your onesies a couple inches longer. Good for super skinny babies too.

I've found that gerber onesies and cds don't mix. However carter's onesies (the newer soft ones) are super stretchy and work great.
When corran is at the tail end of a size they don't fit well, but 90% of the time they fit fine

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
I LOVE gowns on my babies! I use them until I cant shove my baby in them any longer. I just sewed up a couple for my 3 1/2 month old since he outgrew his other ones. he wears them to bed.

About onesies, I buy them big. Baby jack is about 14 lbs, and he wears the size 6-9 months in Carters brand or 6-12 months Old navy brand. I'd probably buy them that big even if he wasnt wearing cloth diapers tho...

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you.

i have a ton of onesies left over from when my son was a baby, and was planning on using those but the other day i was looking at them... then held up one of my Kissaluvs next to it... and i thought, OMG this is never going to fit!!

i went to the local thrift shop in hopes of finding a lot of infant gowns... but found only one.
and i can't seem to find any new for a reasonable price.
i wish i knew why something with $1 worth of cloth costs upward of $12...

if i knew how to fix my sewing machine i wouldn't mind churning out a bunch of gowns i made myself... but it's not working.

anyway, since she'll be a summer baby and we'll be cosleeping + slinging her, i probably will just keep her in a dipe only most of the time.

·
Registered
241 Posts
If you have a Ross, Marshalls, or TJ Maxx nearby, I've always found gowns there for about $3-4 each (they often come two for about $7-8).

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks, but... we don't.

we're about 50 miles away from any of those, and i think gas $ would jack up the cost of the clothes...

·
Registered
11,719 Posts
It's getting hard to size up the onesies on Aidan! He's 4 months and almost 22 pounds! *LOL*

I loved the gowns (after his toenail got ripped off in some footed jammies! OUCH!) for middle of the night changes. I just gave all of ours away or I'd have sent you a couple.

·
Registered
797 Posts
After doing the sized up onesies, the onesie extenders and the gowns, we decided that baby undershirts work the best (for us). The last much longer (size wise) and they don't get wet.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have done the disposables with my others and the oneies worked great. Now we have a little one who can only use cloth diapers and we are finding that the oneies that should fit with the diapers are a little snug or don't work at all. So we have missed using some of our oneies due to the cloth diaper not fitting with the oneies. We do notice to, that with the day cloth AIO's and certain oneies work that are the right size and the overnight AIO's don't work with the right size oneies so we must up the size for him to use oneies with those.
My other problem with oneies are I if I have him in either a oneie and a one-peice outfit or overalls it is harder to find out if he is wet and it can get the whole outfit wet this way. If I use a t-shirt if anything gets wet before I catch it I save the shirt. I loved the gowns, only he is thin and tall so they didn't last long on him (actually he looks wierd in his clothes due to this).

I would love to give you some, but I don't have a lot of oneies and I have a hard time finding them (I don't like certain brands of oneies and hate the extenders they don't work).

Good luck your search for the perfect solution to clothes and cloth diapers, the manufactures of clothes don't care if you have the perfect solution or not, they just think everyone uses disposables.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
With Aislyn we love the gap, old navy, and carter onesies. They all fit pretty good on her, though we really only went up a size, just because thats what we had, and what we bought new. I tend to try to use my thinner stash on her when shes wearing one just because they look so funny with a huge diaper and a small itty body.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
We don't really have a problem with onesies fitting over cloth diapers, but as a pp said, undershirts are really nice, escpecially if you are going to use any wool soakers (can never get soakers under clothes!). We also liked gowns for middle of the night changes, but that didn't work for us at first becuase ds wasn't the best nurser. I'd have to strip him down to nothing in order to stimulate him to eat, and the gowns are more of a hassle to get on and off. JMO!

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Could you just cut the bottoms off the onesies you have and use them as t-shirts? I won't use onesies, they have caused compression wicking with our cloth dipes before. My ds is 18 days old and he mostly just wears t-shirts and diapers all day and at night too. He is a little hotbox, after the first week and a half gowns were too hot for him. We cosleep also and he gets sweaty from our combined body heat if I put him in anything more than a t-shirt and dipe for bed.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
We always used gowns when ds was little (even though my dh hated them, thought they were for little girls...
) now the he is 14 months I find that we have to use a onesie or he will tear his diaper wrap open. I thought I loved velcro over snaps...not anymore. He wears wool at night so he will then just wear a reg tee but as soon as I change him in the morning we have to switch back to the onesie again. There's gotta be a better way....
:

·
Registered
611 Posts
Gowns worked great for us when ds was a newborn. I use onesies now, but I'm always using the next size up. I'm sure when ds gets mobile, I'll probably just buy T-shirts.

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by klothos
this may be a really dumb question but...

do cloth diapers fit under regular onesies?

or will i have to get infant nightgowns instead?

Onesies will work. If it's hot out and I'm not letting ds crawl around in just a diaper, he's got a onesie and socks on. I like the Old Navy ones best though. Ds is finally too big for the 0-3 month ones, and the 3-6mo still fit, albeit snugly (with a snappi'd prefold and medium ME AF). I don't like the Carter's onesies as much, they aren't as nice as the ON ones I've got (plus the snaps are harder to deal with). Oh, the Gap ones are nice too, but too pricey for me. Plus Gap has gowns that are the 3-6mo size.

But with a brand new baby, I loved our gowns. I thought I'd hate them, but my mom bought some anyway, and that's all ds was in for the first few weeks unless we went out.

Let me know if you're still looking for some onesies in 0-3 or 3-6mo, I've got a few floating around the house somewhere that I don't use.

·
Registered
213 Posts
It will depend on the chubbiness of your little one!
DD is long and thin, so she gets a little extra length in a onesie where it would have been girth, KWIM? Also, it depends on the brand of onesie. I think Carter's, Osh Kosh, and the Target Carter's (Tykes?) run small and shrink more, so I size up in those. And a too-big onesie isn't a bad thing really...unless your child is at risk for fire.

Baby nightgowns are great--check Baby Gap in the clearance section. I got a pack of 2 nightgowns for $7.50. I've also seen them at consignment stores, especially in "boy" colors--I don't think some people know what to do with them, or they hate them, or they don't want to put their boy in a gown.

HTH!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts