Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had to tell someone...I was starting to think I'd nurse my kiddo to sleep forever. (Silly, I know, since he's only 7 1/2 mos. old!) Tonight I nursed him as usual in our family bed and he wasn't acting sleepy. I let him roll around in bed while I read for a little while. He seemed so content, I thought I'd leave the room (it's babyproofed) and see if he would mind. He didn't! He played by himself for about 10-15 mins (that must be a record) and then fell asleep. I am amazed.

Oh, and yes, I know this won't happen every night. I'm just glad to see that he was able to fall asleep even once, in a different way than usual.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I don't think I had even considered trying this but it sounds pretty good. I feel like I spend half the day nursing him to sleep then doing it again when he refuses to sleep. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
463 Posts
My dd, who seems to NEED contact when sleepy and nurses to sleep all the time, has done this too. I never taught her to do this. It makes me think: Isn't it silly that we're told that they need to "learn" this? Then we (at least I) get all parenoid that we're doing our dc a disservice by "parenting them to sleep" and responding too quickly at night.

And the "self-soothing" argument! Ug! Like I want my child to learn to self sooth by going to her room and crying herself to sleep... yeah, like I want her doing that when she's in the fifth grade and someone at school was mean to her... NO! I want her to do what she does now! I want her to turn to me for hugs and comfort. Or to a friend, whatever.

And when she's tired but happy and relaxed, then she can kick back and go to sleep the way the OP's ds did and I think that requires no training.

Oh, and congrats! Sound like one happy baby.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Yes, I know I was releived he fell asleep after nursing but for us, it was closer to 12 months. Ever so often he falls asleep on his own, doesn't happen often, BUT I SEE THE LIGHT at the END OF THE TUNNEL :LOL

He also was able to turn around awake and then fall back to sleep ON HIS OWN!!!!!

Yes, all this with NO CIO. Isn't it wonderful, they do learn this on their own!!!

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ladybugs_mom
So, did this happen again the next night? I'm dying to know... :LOL

-veryjealous
:LOL Of course not. I did try though. He has been teething BIG-TIME lately so I can always hope that it wasn't a fluke and he'll do it again. Oh well, we'll see.

I don't know if this had anything to do w/ the one successful night, but for the past week or two I've been doing the "Pantley Pull-Off" suggested in No Cry Sleep Solution. Maybe it really is teaching him that he doesn't always have to comfort-nurse to sleep. Or maybe it was just a fluke.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by awnja
Oh, and congrats! Sound like one happy baby.
Thanks. He is usually pretty happy. It was really cute - every time I'd peek in there, I'd see him rolling around, happy as a clam.
Rolling is his preferred method of transportation - instead of crawling, he rolls, rolls, rolls everywhere.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, DS has "played" himself to sleep again for the last two nights. Friday night he nursed, then wanted to roll around and play on the bed. I laid there and read and he fell asleep rather quickly (maybe 10-15 mins).
Last night it wasn't so easy. He finished nursing, was fussy, we got up. Eventually we went back to bed, he didn't want to nurse so he played aroud some more while I pretended to sleep and he fell asleep about an hour after his usual bedtime.

Finally he cut his first tooth on Wednesday so that may explain his different behaviors.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.