Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I am trying to locate one of these. It seems impossible. Does anyone know of a cell phone without GPS and Bluetooth, but still has internet capability?</p>

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
<p>Many have no GPS but most that I know of have Bluetooth....just turn it off, that's what I do.</p>

Reactions: NettleTea

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
<p>I've got to know, why no blue tooth?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>With the vast majority of phones, bluetooth is a feature you turn on and off...  It wouldn't be something that is enabled all the time.  My husband uses his phone's bluetooth only when he's in the car, but otherwise keeps it turned off to save battery life (it is a notorious battery eater, but again, you can turn it off).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>But I'm dying to know now why it would make a difference if a phone has bluetooth!!!  Curious minds want to know :)</p>

·
Registered
9,039 Posts
<p> </p>
<p>But because how a phone works they still have GPS like capablities.  Your cell phone pings cell towers constantly.  A person that is wanting to track you can do so fairly easy.   The only way to stop this is to turn off your phone.  It will limit pinging and detection, but not full proof. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Are you wanting to block someone from using GPS services?  This might be done by talking to your provider. </p>

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<p>Hey all,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I think it is a waste of resources (as italiamom mentioned, bluetooth eats up battery life). There are other features I'd rather have for the price. I didn't know it could be turned off. That helps. Marsupialmom, I know cellphones ping towers constantly. I just feel really bombarded with all the technology stuff out there and prefer to be able to cut it off when it gets too much for me and eliminate what I don't need or use. The less there is that I don't need, the better. It really suffocates me some days.</p>

·
Registered
9,039 Posts
<p>If you are wanting to keep things simple you might be best served looking for your providers cheapest phones.  They are usually low feature.  </p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
<p>If you're wanting full web browsing capabilities, then you would want a smart phone.  This phone will most likely have Bluetooth (which can be turned off), and GPS capabilities.  My iPhone doesn't have GPS in the true sense, but rather maps with directions, and ability to find one's location.  My husband's phone has the more traditional GPS capabilities.  But in both cases, the maps app and GPS are only active if you choose to use them.  If you're just wanting internet capability to check email, then a lot of phones can accomplish that, possibly even without a data plan.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>But essentially, both GPS and Bluetooth are optional to have enabled or not in most smartphones.</p>

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<p>Thanks, ladies</p>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts