Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First- I'm a foster mom of infants- these babies arent here long- I have a constant turnover of different babies.

I have never put any form of food in a baby bottle. Right now, I have an emergency placement (foster mom went into the hospital unexpectedly). I havetaken other placements of hers on a respite basis. I know she puts food in bottles. I didnt do it before because the baby ate the food when spoon feeding- and I personally like to spend the time feeding my babies.

The baby I have now is significantly delayed. She is 10 months old. I tried to feed her with a spoon last night and twice today- she has a strong tongue thrust and will not take the food. She wants the food- she opens her mouth but as soon as the food is on her tongue- she pushes it out. She gets birth to three services- I know she has "feeding problems" and is on Neocate formula. Foster mom sent food and the "feeding bottle- (wide open nipple). I sort of have to feed her this way don't I? Am I being completely ignorant to another way to feed her solid food? Should I ditch the idea of giving her solids and just stick with the neocate formula?

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Personally I'd just stick with the formula. If she's pushing the cereal out of her mouth she's not actually ready for solids yet. And really there's very little nutrional value to most baby cereals anyway.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
I'd be hesitant to drastically change the diet of a baby when you're only going to be caring for her for a short time. Has she been taking a significant amount and variety of solids (mushies?) or just a little bit of cereal each day?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did this against my better judgement- but I put the babyfood in the bottle. I will be caring for her until Tuesday. I don't want to disrupt her schedule- or rituals. She has oral issues and maybe this is the only way to feed her at this point? She is a cocaine baby with significant brain damage. To deprive her of the food until Tuesday would not be in her best interest. I will study up on this though- It apprears that she had a feeding tube at one point. I have a call into the social worker- although it is Friday.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.