Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gave my mom some ceramic bowls about a year ago. She has never used them and I told her I wanted them back. We are trying to switch too all stoneware, glass, and that kind of thing.<br><br>
Is there anything to be aware of when using marble (like as a cutting baord and mortar and pestle, or using ceramic??

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Marble is just that - stone. No problems there at all. The only thing you want to be aware of with ceramic is if the items are very old and painted,as the paint might have lead in them. But if they are less than 30 years old, then no problem there either. Congrats on trying to cut the plastic!

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
The big problem with ceramics, IME, is that they really do need replacing if they chip or crack, as the cracks can harbour bacteria. (Plus, I kept using a cracked bowl and eventually it fell to pieces when I was using it. Christmas cake mix all over the floor.) Other than that, I think they're great, and would never have thought people didn't use them.<br>
No idea about marble, though- we don't have that kind of money. My pestle and mortar is marble, but that's pretty much it.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>flapjack</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">No idea about marble, though- we don't have that kind of money. My pestle and mortar is marble, but that's pretty much it.</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
<br>
Neither do we but I foubd a place with good quality stuff for no more than 7.00 for the largesrt piece, I thought I'd take advantage of it.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Hey Megan,<br><br>
Where can you find marbleware so cheap??? Maybe you could be a dealer for some of us on here. I'm interested and would pay the shipping if it made sense.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is a place called Old Time Pottery. I'll go and see wht they have, buy some, and let you know if it is worth it ro not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts