Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
So I've been doing alot of research since my Cesarean-birthed baby hasn't been entirely well, and I was thinking that maybe the surgery meds screwed up her gut somehow.

What I found out is that babies born vaginally get beneficial bacteria coming through the birth canal, while only 6% of Cesarean-birthed babies do.

Are there other Moms out there seeing unexplained pink dipes, fussiness, vomiting, rashes, eczema? I think my daughter has food sensitivities brought out by the Cesarean birth. I started infant probiotics to help her digest, and am on an elimination diet- and its working!

Did anyone tell you mamas that your baby should have probiotics from birth to populate their gut? Wish someone had told me...

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
happy october, dara!
: how are you doing??

yeah, we should make lists and add them to the resource thread.

i'd heard it might be a problem, but i was on probiotics anyway, because i dod that when i have abx... ds had some issues at first, but he loved gripe water, and now he drinks keifer, and seems mainly ok!

hugs. donsent help, does it, to have more things to deal with....

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I'm good, thanks! just recently have been discussing vbamc, course I'm not pregnant, but plan to have more children...I wonder if there's really a way to do it besides uc.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Happy October all!

I am so annoyed. I wanted to switch docs for this bean and I just found out a couple hours ago that I won't be able to. Good news: the doctor is a fine surgeon. Bad news: he really should have gone into surgery where the patient is unconcious first and you never have to speak to them.

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by dara00 View Post
I'm good, thanks! just recently have been discussing vbamc, course I'm not pregnant, but plan to have more children...I wonder if there's really a way to do it besides uc.
i'd go for some good old LOA action. manifest yourself a way! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Throkmorton View Post
Good news: the doctor is a fine surgeon. Bad news: he really should have gone into surgery where the patient is unconcious first and you never have to speak to them.
oh dear. ugh. sending him some good bedside manners!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Hey Dara ~ Did we ever talk about that practice down in Lakewood? There was a woman on the ICAN list who had an appt to talk to them about a vba2c. I didn't know if they did vba2c but it sounds like maybe they do. Anyway, it's a practice of 2 doctors and 5 midwives and they cater mostly to Jewish women. Their practice is located in an orthodox community and they are firm believers in vaginal birth and vbac since so many of their clients want to have large families. Their c-section rate is only 4% (which is incredible!!!) so I'd feel pretty confident that their c-sections are absolutely last resorts. I know Lakewood is a hike but it might be worth checking out!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
yes I read about them in that article; my OB also has an office in Lakewood so I guess they are his competition! I will look into them in the future.

So did Ann have her vbac? I think so!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Quote:

yes I read about them in that article; my OB also has an office in Lakewood so I guess they are his competition! I will look into them in the future.

So did Ann have her vbac? I think so!

That's even more reason to interview them!!! Go with the competition.

Anne did have a vbac! I probably mentioned this before but the back up doctor for our midwives does vba2c (at least that's what one of the midwives told me). That's probably more of a hike though which is why I was thinking of that Lakewood practice.

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

What is LOA?
sorry, i guess i didnt sub to this thread, so i keep missing it!

loa=law of attraction... aka, what's talked about in "The Secret"..... here.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
can anyone recommend any books on dealing with having a c-section? i am still working through my c-section and i am disappointed with how little other books actually deal with c-sections. they don't really cover how emotionally devestating it can actually be andi feel they are often quite dismissive.

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i do know there are a couple articles some people have liked. the links are burried somewhere in one of those other threads... the one in pg, i think. i am thinking i should do a hunt thru and pull out things like that to post in the resource stickey.... project for me! i'll post when i find them.

hugs. i totally hear you on there not being much out there that's very helpful.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Hi all:

I guess I am probably going to be new to this thread, as it looks like I am being forced/coerced into a c/s in the very near future - like by Monday at the latest, if I just don't cave before then and say screw it. My baby is transverse breach, but no one is willing to turn the baby because of a nuchal cord.

I am getting constant pressure from OB and Perinatologists to have an immediate c/s since finding out on Monday. I am starting to loose all hope that this baby could and will turn on its own, as I am 40 w 4 d by their EDD (by mine I am not even due for a few more days).

If this ends up in a c/s I want no part of this birth. I want to be knocked out, unconscious. I don't want any photos, I don't want any foot prints, I don't want any memories of it, except the one permanent one I will have that will never go away. Heck, at this point I dont even want to nurse this child, throw a few bottles in the hospital bag and a can of formula. Let the nursery keep it as often and long as they like. I am 3/4 tempted to tell them that I just want my tubes tied and/or a hysterectomy to never have to deal with this again.

I had a horrible hospital birth with my first child, a very healing birth center birth with my second, a horrible hospital birth with my third (full term still birth and just missed having to have a c/s by the skin of my teeth) and it looks like I am going to have another horrible birth experience now. If this ends in a c/s I will have only the option of homebirth (most likely UC) or hospital fully interventiond births for any future pregnancies.

Any suggestions on how I can better cope with this, or come to terms with it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
khaoskat~
i'm sorry to hear you feeling so stressed and upset. nak, a sweet Cesarean birthed babe, 12 weeks old now. has your baby been switching positions or is it settled in? if this were my birth, and i thought my baby wasn't ready to come out yet, then i would tell my providers they would just have to wait. i would give my babe a chance to turn and make its journey before consenting to a belly birth. but thats just me. your baby needs you to be strong and give it the best chance for a healthy life. it needs you to accept its birth path whatever that turns out to be. nursing this sweet baby is the most important thing in my life even though she came out of my belly and not my vagina. and breastfeeding her is one of the things that is helping me through recovery from a Cesarean birth. it isn't an easy thing to get past. but i have found that even though it sucks, its not the end of my life, its the beginning of a new chapter. my future births will be planned to take place in the sanctity of our home. i have found a midwife who is willing to travel 2500 miles to attend my birth since its illegal for my local midwife to attend a vbac. if i have to transport then so be it. i did everything i could to push my baby out, no regrets. she is worth every bit of pain and heartache and disappointment and fear and anger. and i have hope. if you do choose a Cesarean birth, or one is chosen for you, we will be here for you. and we'll all get through it together.
lisa

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by khaoskat View Post
If this ends up in a c/s I want no part of this birth. I want to be knocked out, unconscious. I don't want any photos, I don't want any foot prints, I don't want any memories of it, except the one permanent one I will have that will never go away. Heck, at this point I dont even want to nurse this child, throw a few bottles in the hospital bag and a can of formula. Let the nursery keep it as often and long as they like. I am 3/4 tempted to tell them that I just want my tubes tied and/or a hysterectomy to never have to deal with this again.

I'm so sorry that you are facing a likely ceserean. I'm not trying to invalidate your feelings, b/c I have had similar ones at times. However, by "checking out" of your child's birth, you will not be able to erase what has happened. Please don't set yourself up for possible feelings of guilt later for not embracing your child's birth...however it may end up. I am terribly disappointed with my c-birth, but I embrace it b/c one day my son will ask me about it...I will tell him (honestly) that it was the happiest day of my life...how I heard his first cry, how I saw his tiny, sweet little face, how he was whisked away, and how I "really" saw him for the first time.

I also agree with mtn.mama about BFing. That is the thing that has helped me through more than anything else.

Again, I'm not trying to invalidate your feelings at all. A ceserean is major surgery and the recovery is unpleasant at best. But, it does yield the greatest gift...a child.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
the leader of my local VBAC/cesarean birth support group lent me a copy of "Cesarean Voices". it's incredible, i could relate to so many of the stories. i made my dh read it. i looked all over the ICAN website to see where i could get my own copy but i couldn't find it. does anyone know where i could get a copy of it?

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by gwerydd View Post
the leader of my local VBAC/cesarean birth support group lent me a copy of "Cesarean Voices". does anyone know where i could get a copy of it?
sounds great! i've never seen it... can you ask your vbac leader (what a great group to have!!!)?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by aweynsayl View Post
sounds great! i've never seen it... can you ask your vbac leader (what a great group to have!!!)?

yeah, we just moved here a couple of months ago and i am thrilled with the birth community here. there is a very strong birth community here that includes the VBAC/Cesarean support group. it's been really great and is really helping me with the healing.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.