Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,334 Posts
Well ladies,

So glad I found you. Looonnnnggg story short, diagnosed with uterine fibroids a year ago, ob recommended this spring that they be removed before getting pregnant due to large size, pelvic MRI showed bicornuate uterus (my uterus never finished coming together as I was developing in utero and looked like 2 bunny ears that joined just above the cervix - some are much milder and it's not such a problem) in addition to fibroids. Had abdominal surgery 8/5/03 to remove fibroids and correct my bicornuate. Am healing up quite nicely, my surgeon says I now have a "beautiful new uterine cavity", and the only downside is that because of the surgery to my uterus it is really not recommended that I do a vaginal birth because of rupture risk. Not sure I'd even find anyone to let me if I was so inclined, and as much as I buck traditional medicine and mindset, I think even I will have to learn to accept that.

Soooo as I'm healing up from my surgery (have to wait 3 months before ttc), I thought I'd pick your brains as part of my making peace with the situation process. I am a total birth junkie, was birthed at home myself, been to 7 births, and have actually uttered the words "god help me if I have to give birth in a hospital" when I was at my friend's hospital birth. Ah yes, words DO come back to bite you in the *ss
: BUT, as I grieve the loss of my "perfect" home birth, and even the "compromise" of a vaginal hospital birth, onward and upward, eh?

I'm wondering how I can make the best of a c-section, in terms of what requests to make, what do you wish you had done differently looking back, what are you really glad you did? If I take a deep breath and focus, I think my biggest concern is that they're going to whisk the baby away, prick, prod and scrub him/her when I REALLY want him/her welcomed into the world as gently as possible. Anyone able to keep the baby around while they were stitching you up? Also, what's the typical hospital length stay? For my surgery I was able to leave the next afternoon and that was nice to be able to get some sleep that wasn't interrupted by nurses.

Well thanks for your patience and for holding my hand through this.

LisaG

· Registered
1,334 Posts
Thank you LadyLee and Stirringleaf,

I'm planning an appointment with my ob in the next month or so to update him on my surgery and pick his brain on how he'd handle a c-section.

LadyLee that's a good reminder that birth happens on more than one level than just physical and that there are many wonderful moments to birth no matter how it happens.

Stirringleaf, I had wondered about having a doula and wasn't sure if doula's do planned c-sections
: Guess I can ask around. I agree there will be certain advantages to going into the situation knowing what I'm going into and therefore planning for it, and being informed, which should hopefully minimize interference. But you're right, I think it would be way hard to have to stand firm after a c-section, I mean who wants the hassle and I'd rather DH have as little confrontation as possible too? So planning ahead for that will be helpful. Sorry to hear about your multiple surgeries. I found bodywork to be really helpful for me after mine, helped me reconnect to my body. I feel really lucky that I could go into my surgery prepared - that would have to be a shock on so many levels to have an emergency c-section. Best wishes to you with your healing.

Thanks again everyone!

Lisa

· Registered
1,334 Posts
Ladylee,

You're almost there
! How wonderful!

Keep up your good work and here's to a smooth and uneventful labor and delivery

LisaG

· Registered
1,334 Posts
Gossamer, you might want to check out the email group with ICAN (international cesarean awareness network?)

http://www.ican-online.org

They have lots of really good info and support to offer. Also the books Silent Knife and Open Season by Nancy Wainer Cowen are good resources of information. You might want to heal a bit first.

I highly recommend getting some bodywork. I think it's so helpful for helping us reconnect to our bodies in a safe and respectful way. You might want to look for a bodyworker who has experience with supporting emotional work.

Best wishes to you,
LisaG

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.