Mothering Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

· Registered
1,334 Posts
Thank you LadyLee and Stirringleaf,

I'm planning an appointment with my ob in the next month or so to update him on my surgery and pick his brain on how he'd handle a c-section.

LadyLee that's a good reminder that birth happens on more than one level than just physical and that there are many wonderful moments to birth no matter how it happens.

Stirringleaf, I had wondered about having a doula and wasn't sure if doula's do planned c-sections
: Guess I can ask around. I agree there will be certain advantages to going into the situation knowing what I'm going into and therefore planning for it, and being informed, which should hopefully minimize interference. But you're right, I think it would be way hard to have to stand firm after a c-section, I mean who wants the hassle and I'd rather DH have as little confrontation as possible too? So planning ahead for that will be helpful. Sorry to hear about your multiple surgeries. I found bodywork to be really helpful for me after mine, helped me reconnect to my body. I feel really lucky that I could go into my surgery prepared - that would have to be a shock on so many levels to have an emergency c-section. Best wishes to you with your healing.

Thanks again everyone!

Lisa

· Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hikaru, that is a tough one. My mother is coming two days before, but of course best laid plans can always go awry, and we might have to fall on a back up. And dd is very attached (she's also 3.5.) But she does really like two of our neighbors and one of my friends--all of whom have offered to take her if needed. I've talked to her about it and she seems ok, although she has expressed sadness that she won't get to come with me to the hospital. But we packed a little suitcase for her & she thought that was fun and is excited about sleeping over at someone else's house if she has to. And I envision her spending much of visiting hours with me at the hospital (eek-but the room is private & I won't feel bad if she is rowdy,) or she'll be with dh doing "special" things like making drawings for the baby, going to the office with him, etc. 10 days is a long time to make arrangements-is that flexible? If my mother weren't able to make it (she lives on the other side of the country & it is a hike for her) I'd enlist friends in shifts (I'm always concerned about imposing-all of these people are busy with their own families) and hope for the best. Good luck getting prepared-maybe you'll end up w/a VBAC and it won't be an issue!

· Registered
4,300 Posts
about doulas and c-sections ... i have a feeling if you asked some midwives and doulas, saying you want to pay someone to just be your advocate, i think you would find someone . i think if you authorise ANYONE to speak on your behalf during the birth, the hospital will have to put up with it, although i gues you bettter check how your hospital feels about birth plans also. i would specifically want a doula or even a midwife, since they are used to birth. i have a friend who started out as a homebirth and had a c-sec, and her midwife came to the hospital and was by her side...i guess each hospital might have different policies about who can be in the operating room..........i hope you find some way to get what you need! ps i was in hospital for 5 days, and wish i couls have had an advocate during those days also, but esp the first 2, because nurses were pushing formula, etc and i was educated but so weak and depressed it was hard to keep fighting them....

· Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
18 more days until our birth!!!

I needed some peace and quiet tonight, so dh took dd to go swimming. I've been mentally preparing myself to be ready for anything to happen--I could go into labor early, etc. etc. I've been doing visualization work-imagining a wonderful birth experience, everything going as painlessly and smoothly as possible, and my being in a positive frame of mind where I fully experience all the joy and wonder of our daughter coming into the world.

I've done as much as I can up to this point--I now have to trust and let go, rest and take care of myself. Existence will take care of the rest.

· Premium Member
3,983 Posts
I had an emergency C-Section on July 29th with a vertical incision. I have been told repeatedly by several healthcare workers that I cannot labor and must have C-Sections with every birth from now on. My question is this, does anybody else have bad dreams about the C-Section? I keep dreaming that the doctors are making me labor with my next pregnancy. I am not even pregnant right now, but I keep dreaming that I am being forced to labor even though it is life threatning.
Gossamer

· Registered
132 Posts
(((Gossamer)))
my heart really goes out to you. It sounds to me like
your subconscious is trying hard to work through unresolved pain and fear associated with your birth experience. I don't have any brilliant
suggestions except to assure you you're not alone, and that
it is OK to do whatever you feel comfortable doing to heal yourself. Pray, meditate, get some bodywork done, write in a journal, even get counseling for a limited time to work through these issues...whatever works for you. Be very gentle with yourself and take all the time you need.

Blessings,
Hikaru

· Registered
5,335 Posts
(((Gossamer)))) I don't know what more to say.

Ladylee- I love what you said, I seriously hadn't even considered visualizing enjoying the birth (am I silly?) I just think of "getting through it". I am not very good at visualizing, my conscious mind has too much to say (anxiety), but I am really going to try what you have done, I had never consdered that I could actually *enjoy* my c-section. I guess I felt that was for women who wanted c-sections, you know those who want it b/c they don't feel like doing labor and delivery. Anyway, thanks for sharing that. I keep thinking how your c-section is coming up and I can't wait to hear how well it goes.

· Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
gossamer--sending much support your way. I found it very helpful to write out my feelings in a journal, to do some anger work, to draw, and to talk it all out after my experience. Gradually my emotions were cleared--I hope you reach a point of peace inside yourself.

jess7396--it's not easy--it's hard to get beyond thinking about the procedure. But I'm trying to focus on the moment where she's lifted up and we see her for the first time. To me, that moment is no different in a natural birth. I acknowledge that it's not possible for me to "enjoy" the cesarean delivery, but it *is* possible to enjoy her birth

Treelove, wow-I'm also set to go at 7:30 am! Somehow I feel even better thinking of you now. I'm in a constant state of wondering if I'll make it that long. Hope you're feeling well!

· Registered
205 Posts
Sorry to come in so late....I just saw this post. I has posted on the previous thread, but will give my stats and say hello again. I just found out last month we are having a new baby edd 4/10 and this baby will be born via c-section too.

#1 - c-section after 14 hours of labor with pitocin and no progress, horrible bleeding problems and recovery took longer that usual, however my son (8 lbs. 6 oz) did great although I did not get to see him or hold (or see dh either after they ran him out of the OR when I started hemorraging) for a couple of hours he did room in with me my entire stay and was only breastfed.

#2 - c-section that was planned due to the fact that my daughter was breech and I had a section previously, NO bleeding problems and a wonderful birth, my daughter (8 lbs. 4 oz) and I got to cuddle and nurse within an hour and she was in the same room as me the entire time (as was dh) and short recovery time.

#3 - will be a c-section that is planned due to previous sections and my bleeding problems - I am VERY EXCITED and hope to have a smooth delivery as with my daughter.

It is nice to "meet" all of you and hope those having babies soon have wonderful and safe deliveries.

· Banned
410 Posts
My intro:

C-birth #1: I had a classical in '98 due to PROM @25 weeks, and Twin to Twin Transfusion Syndrome. Twins born at 29 weeks-weighed 2.9 and 1.13.

C-birth#2: was born via planned c-birth due to a previous classical

C-birth#3: is scheduled for Sept 19th @ 7:30 am due to 2 previous c-births

· Registered
1,334 Posts
Gossamer, you might want to check out the email group with ICAN (international cesarean awareness network?)

http://www.ican-online.org

They have lots of really good info and support to offer. Also the books Silent Knife and Open Season by Nancy Wainer Cowen are good resources of information. You might want to heal a bit first.

I highly recommend getting some bodywork. I think it's so helpful for helping us reconnect to our bodies in a safe and respectful way. You might want to look for a bodyworker who has experience with supporting emotional work.

Best wishes to you,
LisaG

· Banned
410 Posts
just 2 weeks left! Okay- I can deal with all the pain from the recovery, but I nearly hyper ventilate when thinking about the epidural. I think it's the WORST part of it all. I can't bring myself to think about it. I tried watching it on TV and I flip! My insides get all twisted and I feel faint-anyone got any advice for a big ol' chicken?
:
:puke

· Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I too am sitting with the realization that two weeks from now I'll be holding our daughter!!!

Treelove-do you ever do visualizations? They work really well for me when I'm faced with a needle. But I hear ya-they're no fun!

· Registered
4,300 Posts
HONEY dont watch epidurals on TV you sillyhead!!!!

thats my advice.

well ok really i think the best thing you can do is get your mind off it. i had surgery last spring, and the thought of anesthesia really freaked me out, i was all worked up. in the end i realized i should have just done everyhitng i could to keep my mind off that fact , it was an unavoidable thing, and wasting weeks beeing a ball of nerves cuz of it was not good so if you can, just enjoy the last weeks before the baby comes, and try to think about the positives!

epidurals are creepy, but they arent as painful as labor!!!!! do like youre suposed to in labor, and breathe through it when the time comes and try to meditate on something else as they do it/ whatever works for you to make you focus on the needle less!!!!

that includes forgetting that i used th word "needle" above!

· Registered
132 Posts
I'm a big wimp about needles too. I can't tell you it doesn't hurt at all, but at least in my case, once it took effect I suddenly
felt no pain at all, which after 34 hours of contractions was such a relief!!
Once the epidural takes effect, it's amazing how quickly they get the baby out...and once you know your baby is out you probably won't be thinking of anything else at all!

21 - 40 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.