Mothering Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

· Registered
420 Posts
Hi all! I am so excited I discovered this thread. My stats are: I had a transverse incion c-sec on Aug. 18, 2003. I was 6 days past my edd. 2 weeks before my edd my doc thought my daughter had turned breech and did a u/s. She had floated up and was no longer engaged in my pelvis. They said she was 8 Ibs 2 oz. I had her 3 weeks later and she was 7 ibs 13 oz and 21 inches long. I did not want to be induced but basically doc freaked me out about all the bad stuff that can happen if you go past your due date and they were afraid she was getting too big to deliver vaginally. I went in for the overnight cervadil 3 days past my edd, but although it did soften me it was not enough for him to start pitocin in the morning so I got sent home. On th way home I was contracting so much I thought I was going to have to turn around and go back to the hospital. The next day I went and I was at a 1cm, 50% effaced - l let him strip my membranes. 2 days later I went into labor having LOTS of bloody show and contrax 3 minutes apart lasting 1.5 minutes when I went to the hospital. This lasted for 10 hours. THe last few hours I had contractions every minute. I never got past one and then I started to close up. I was on my knees, I was on the birthing ball. I had a doula. Doc came in after 10 hours of hard labor and ftp - my dd heartrate was decelling during my contractions. He said we needed to get her out and that a woman under 5 ft tall only has a 50% chance of delivering vaginally. I am 5Ft 3/4 inch. I thought that was a lot of hooey but I was afraid for my baby and in a lot of pain ( back labor). I had a transverse incision c-sec. I was groggy from the demerol and morphine I had in labor so the surgery happened very fast. They seemed to have her out within 2 minutes of my dh walking in the room. I had my doula in the c-sec and she was awesome. She also took a lot of great pics which frankly dh would have not been in the frame of mind to do. My c-sec went smoothly. My recovery went smoothly. It was not that bad. I am scared as hell to ever do it again. I want more babies though and I have had 3 docs tell me they don't think I am a candidate for VBAC. I think they are saying that because my town does not do very many and does not have good emergency OB services. I think that VBACs are scary and although I would love the experience of a vaginal birth I don't think I will get to have one. If I have another c-sec I will definitely have my doula again. Now I don't know if anyone else had this experience but I had a birth plan with all my wishes on it that every nurse and my doc and doula and husband and mother all had. The only thing that went according to my birth plan is that I got to nurse my dd. I was not allowed the meds I wanted (stadol or nubane versus morphene or demerol), I was not allowed a epidural because they said I was not progressing and were wanting to send me home with vicodin
:

Anyway I am glad my daughter and I both came through it safe and healthy, but I am really scared to go through a c-sec again. My dd just turned one and if it was not for the fact that I know I am gonna have to have another c-sec, I would be chomping at the bit to get pregnant again soon. I am really scared I will be a miserable B*tch my entire pregnancy because I will be so scared of the c-sec. Anyone else worry about this? How do you cope and make the pregnancy a positive experience?

Thanks for listening!

Babydoll

· Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Hi babydoll, I'm glad you found us. I had similar concerns when I got pregnant with #2, especially when I found out a VBAC wasn't in the cards for me. I'm less than two weeks away from having my repeat cesarean, and have had a very positive pregnancy in the sense that I haven't really been fretting about going through it again. I think what worked for me was just making room for the whole range of my emotions-accepting that I wasn't very thrilled about the method of birth, but remembering that there are many aspects of birthing--not just on a physical level. Asking for support, talking through things with dh if I was feeling down, and talking with my doctor have all helped (as well as coming here and talking to the other women who completely understand!) Good luck to you--

· Banned
410 Posts
Welcome babydoll! I am about to have my 3rd c-sec-IN JUST 11 DAYS!!!! YIPPEE! Ooops, sorry this post is about you, not me! LOL!

I'll tell ya what I've learned. I've learned to just "go with the flow". I've stopped over analyzing and thinking things to death. My 1st c-birth was an emergency to save the lives of my 29 weeker twins. It was a classical, so it really sucked. Emotionally I was devestated about the twins poor health (it was "touch and go for almost 2 months) and that in a split second I had lost my chance to birth any of my babies vaginally and that I had lost any chance for a "normal" exp.

The 2nd time I got pg I had visualized a HBAC, after meeting with the OB, who told me that i had been misinformed about my c-birth and that I had a low vertical and she fully supported me in a VBAC. I was ESTATIC! I lost 20 lbs (put on by depression after the twins birth), I got really healthy, did yoga, exercised everyday, etc. etc., etc. I was so HAPPY when I found out I was pg and was getting another chance at my dream-birth! I requested my chart for my hb midwife. When I got the chart I found the words CLASSICAL INSICION in 2" high letters in several places in the chart. I was devestated. I spent the rest of my pg crushed. I just COULDN'T get happy about the upcoming birth. I never did get past it and the day I gave birth to my 3rd son I was a MESS! I wanted to crawl into a hole and never come out! It took us a YEAR to bond and I suffered from pretty severe PPD and gained 20 lbs and cried everyday, severeal times a day for 1-2 years!

This time when I got pg I KNEW I was going to have a c-birth all along. I have tried to visualize it and how HAPPY I will be to meet my darling daughter. I keep reminding myself about how much the recovery hurts, so I won't be surprised by the pain and revert into my shell. I am also focusing on how happy I am going to be and how GENTLE I am going to be on myself. I am going to SAVOR every moment with this lil bundle. I am going to ENJOY birth. I am going to push my fears aside so I can be in the moment and meet her and REMEMBER it! I just have to focus on the positive. I just have to. I OWE her and myself that much.
I just surrendered to the fact that I give birth thru my belly instead of between my legs. That's the ONLY difference between me and some other moms.
I think when my children were small, birth was SUCH a large part of defining my MOTHERING. It was all people asked me about because there wasn't much to their lives yet...that was the most monumental part of everything that had happened up until then. Now, I am about to put my 2 firtborn babies on the school bus for kindergarten. So many things have transpired since January 1, 1998. How they came to get here is not important. WHO they are becoming is.

· Registered
420 Posts
Since having a c-sec I get the most excruciating gas pains when I have to have a bowel movement. Anyone else have this? DOes it go away? I asked my OB about it and he said that is normal after any delivery vaginal/csec. My baby is almost 13 months.

· Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Sorry babydoll, I didn't experience this-hope someone can help.

Man, the moon is really making my little one dance and I wonder if I'm going to make it to the 19th. I have one wrench in the works--my mother is planning to fly out on the 17th to be here to take care of dd #1 and me after delivery. Well, Hurricane Isabel (ironic that this is dd #1's name!) is bearing down on where they live and if it hits she may very well not be able to get here by the 19th, which would really bum me out! We have friends who would take care of dd--but would just be so much better to have mom here. If the storm keeps on course it will probably hit Saturday or Sunday-my mother is flying out on Monday. If it's a big storm the airport will shut down

Not to mention I'm worried for their safety.

· Registered
1,453 Posts
Hey ladylee, how are things going for you? Are you nervous/excited about the baby and etc?

My recovery has been fantastic. I feel really great. I quit taking ym pain meds less than two weeks after my daughter was born and have been up and around quite a bit.

I had a tubal ligation, and actually it has caused me mroe discomfort physically than the ceserean itself.

You will do great!

· Registered
132 Posts
Haha TreeLove, I don't even have a car!

No but seriously, Lady Lee and Tree Love I just wanted to say
I'm looking forward to reading your birth stories. You're so close now, how exciting!!
Got a whole 'nother month to go myself...

· Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Good morning!

Avonlea-I've been thinking about you-great to hear you're having a good recovery. VERY good for me to hear right now
! I'm so happy for you

Treelove--can you believe we're almost done!?? Hope you have a very productive weekend taking care of last minute things.
It's so exciting! You must be extra excited to meet your daughter-have you picked her name?

Hikaru-thank you! I bet the last month will fly for you!

Had my 38 week appt yesterday and everything is great--happy that they'll let me go home after 2 days if there are no complications. I'm so ready to meet our daughter!

· Banned
410 Posts
ladylee-I can't believe it will be one more week and we'll be gazing into the eyes of our lil ones! When is your orig. due date? Mine is the 27th or 28th. We were orig. sch for the 24th, but I told the OB I didn't think I was gonna make it and I wanted to avoid an emergency c-birth, if I went into labor.

I went to the mw today for a NST. I've been having ctx since Monday and last night they were more intense than usu. I've also been feeling queasy and having menstrual like cramps every morning for hours. I've also bee losing my plug, slowly, but no bloody show yet. I asked the mw to check me so I could have a good idea about where I was. Well, she check and her words were "You're a *leeeeeetle* thinned out, but you're not even a finger tip yet." All of this discomfort for N-O-T-H-I-N-G!!!!!!!!!!
AAAAAAARRRRGGGHHHH!

My dh is sick and tired to death of my "oh, wait, I'm having a contraction! Maybe tonight will be the night!" He finally got real with me last night and said "Awwww, Come on! You KNOW you aren't gonna go early!"
I got so mad! He thinks I'm exaggerating. Now I have to hang my head in shame and tell him he's right. I'm not gonna go early.

The mw TOLD me I'm gonna make it to the 19th, which is okay, but if I go into labor then I *know* in my heart that our dd is born on her TRUE birthday-when she's ready....

How about you? How are you feeling? Think you'll make it? I'm sure you're handling it much better than I am! and hopefully your dh is being more gentle than mine!

· Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
My true due date is the 23rd--and I think I'll definitely make it till the 19th. I'm not dilated, she's up high--although I certainly feel the moon pulling her! It sounds like things are definitely happening for you TL-regardless of whether tonight's the night or not :LOL. Can't wait to see how it unfolds for the both of us!

I think my dh realizes he only has a week left of hearing me speculate about this, that and the other (because I am doing my share), so he kind of yes dears me :LOL. I'm sure his patience is just about to wear thin, too.

Overall I'm feeling much, much better than I thought I would-both physically and emotionally. Just holding on to that excitement and thinking positively! But I am so ready to get it over with already-and to take my baby home and just be with my family.

· Registered
3,406 Posts
Congrats, Treelove!

Here's my story:

I was induced two days before my EDD because I was 4.5 cm dilated and fully effaced. The doctor was worried about infection setting in.

I pushed for four very long hours - got scared when the lights went out, it was the day of the east coast blackout. Anja's little head was partially out, but she was stuck. She presented incorrectly and her nose and jaw were trapped against my bones. The doctor tried suction and forceps, but no go.

That's how I ended up with a section. I'm not disappointed, I feel that I experienced both kinds of delivery.

My incision got a little infected and I'm still in pain from the procedure. But my baby was born safe and sound and that's all I'm concerned about.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.