Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got the A-shaped CFLs that have the cover over them and put them in our ceiling fan lights (fan is never on, only lights). Today my lovely DH found a cover on the sofa and him being so intelligent doesn't bother to worry about where it came from and sets it on the table. I find it a few mins ago and it turns out it broke off of on of the CFLs, which is still in the fan and still working. So only the cover broke off, does that make sense. I'm freaking out here....do I have to worry about mercury contamination. I've looked up n:vision (brand we got) and I know they use the least amount of mercury and use it in the form of solid amalgram pieces to decrease contamination but they only tell you about bulb breakage, not cover breaking off...the bulb itself is intact. Anyone have any useful info here? TIA!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
299 Posts
As far as I know, the mercury is in the bulb itself. I wouldn't freak out-just remove the bulb & dispose of it how you should. I'd email the company, maybe they'll send you a new one?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, I think you're right. I emailed the company last night so I will post the response here once I get it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,150 Posts
thanks for posting. I was unaware of the mercury problem with these bulbs, and fluorescent in general. I just did about 2 hours of reading on it and I wont be buying anymore, cant believe the overhype/lack of info and am off to purchase LED stock!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
here is what the company wrote me back. Good to know. The bulbs I bought were n:vision. Although I think hes downplaying the mercury issue, I think amalgam is probably better than liquid form. And its nice that they put it a pinch tube I guess...<br><br><span>I would like to thank you for your inquiry and taking the time to write and<br>
tell us of this incident. I also regret reading that our product failed to<br>
perform as designed.<br><br>
By your description of the incident there would be no leakage of mercury.<br>
Even if the bulb were to break, there is minimal chance for the escape of<br>
mercury from our product.<br><br>
In our CFL's we use an amalgam mercury - - about 2 milligrams - - which is<br>
in a solid pellet form. This amalgam pellet is 'buried' in the ballast or<br>
plastic housing of the CFL. For further protection and reliability of the<br>
product, the pellet is inside a thick glass tube often called a pinch tube.<br>
For any mercury exposure to take place, the plastic ballast would have to<br>
be broken open,(which is very difficult) the pieces-parts separated, the<br>
pinch tube found and then broken open. This is not to say that over time a<br>
minute percentage of mercury would not be present in the glass tubing, but<br>
that amount may not even be measurable.<br><br>
Please understand, I am not trying to trivialize the hazard of mercury.<br>
However there have been numerous tall tails of mercury and CFL's<br>
circulating and it could be hard to tell fact from fiction. True, some<br>
manufacturers use a liquid mercury in their production of CFL's. It is also<br>
true that this is quite toxic compared to an amalgam mercury. I believe the<br>
bottom line would be that if the cost of the CFL is extremely inexpensive<br>
and they offer no phone number on their package or, more important, the<br>
product itself.....STAY AWAY. They do not want to be found for some reason<br>
or other.<br><br>
Please feel free to call me or write to me if you have any further<br>
questions. I will be glad to assist you.<br><br>
Sincerely,<br><br>
Kurt Kotapish<br>
Customer Care Technical Support Liaison<br>
NAILD-Lighting Specialist 1<br>
TCP, Inc.<br>
325 Campus Dr.<br>
Aurora, OH 44202<br>
Phone # 1-800-324-1496 Ext. 1311<br>
Fax # 1-330-995-6188<br><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><br></span>[/COLOR]
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top