Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
Your soul
Sometimes mama's cup of chai is the only thing standing between toddler and duct tape...

[ok, I hate that I have to qualify these things, but I know that if I didn't, someone would take offence. I would never duct tape my child. I may daydream about it, but I'd never actually do it. But, the chai helps me daydream about it less often
]

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the way it is here as well
I was just wondering if it was supposed to be "good" for something else, I always drink it now and someone asked me what it was good for! I said taste! and it makes me feel better!! I agree, I look very forward to my cup of chai!!

Thanks
Angi

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tboroson
Your soul
Sometimes mama's cup of chai is the only thing standing between toddler and duct tape...
There have been many a day that has been saved by a chai in my house! It's just a nice soothing drink. I kind of reminds me of a "grown Up" hot cocoa.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Does anyone have a recipe for the spices?? I would love to play around with it and find a version that I like. I'd drink it if I could do it with soy.
g.

·
Registered
42 Posts
In India there are as many recipes for Chai as there are dialects of Hindi. Typically, Masala Chai contains black tea, cardamom, ginger, cinnamon, black pepper and cloves, although many blends today include fennel, rooibos, vanilla and other exotic spices.

Obviously there are great health benefits in a good quallity black tea. Recent studies have shown that black tea may help prevent plaque build up in arteries, increase bone density, kill bacteria in the mouth that cause cavities, fights bad breath, has anti-oxidents, ect.

Ginger root is just over all great. Here's an article on ginger: http://www.nivaorganics.com/com/content/view/33/2/

Then if you Chai were to include rooibos ... well where do I even begin with this tea from South Africa. Native to the mountains of South Africa, Rooibos is prized for its great flavor and health beneficial anti-oxidants, minerals and vitamins. Recent research also shows that it contains the highest known levels of anti-aging properties of any plant on earth.

Add some raw milk and simmer on the stove in the tradional way and there you go. A pretty darn healthy drink.

Hope that helps a bit.

·
Registered
703 Posts
You want to steep it a long time, spicy is good, LOL.

Seriously, I use a large latte cup. Fill half full with boiling water and and put in the chai to steep. I usually wait 10 minutes for steeping.

Add honey and or sugar, stir, then add milk or cream or even soymilk, fill the cup the rest of the way. I use a local jersey milk, it is sooooooo good. If it has cooled off too much, heat it up just a bit.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TAZO has an organic Chai mix, that you mix with equal parts with mil, soy, or any othere milk substitute!! You can drink it hot or iced, with it being summer I've been enjoying my Chai iced
It is really yummy, I also have the tea bags to steep, but didn't like that too much, I'll have to try it again!!

Angi

·
Registered
299 Posts
Chai Cake----this is really really yummy---I use a real egg though

1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup natural sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup soymilk
8 chai tea bags
2 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup oil
Ener-G Egg Substitute for 1 egg, beaten

Preheat oven to 350 F.
Grease an 8" cake pan.
In a saucepan, put soymilk gently on low heat.
Add tea bags, and simmer 15 minutes, pressing tea bags gently to extract flavor.
Wring out tea bags into soymilk. Top up with more soy milk back to 3/4 cup. Put this flavored soymilk in fridge to cool.
In large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
Combine remaining ingredients, including flavored soymilk, and add to flour mixture.
Beat for 2 minutes. If too stiff, add a bit more soy milk.
Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out dry.
Makes one 8" cake.

TIP: Bake this with another pan in the oven with just a bit of cold water, to keep the cake moist.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I love chai. I prefer the loose blends and to traditionally boil it on the stove. I boil the tea and water for 1min then add the milk and let it simmer for a min. I am off dairy so I have missed it. I have my bag of chai in the cubbard. We are trying goats milk these days, so I may have to dip into it this afternoon. It has been raining here for 2 weeks straight, literally. Everyone around any river has been flooded out. My grass is greener then it has ever been, but I have had to cut it in the rain. I think this would be a perfect afternoon for chai.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.