Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently researching homeschooling for my oldest (he's 3.5...looking into the future). I have been open minded toward all types of schooling but recently I have been doing more research on homeschool. I like what I have learned about it. However, I'd like to hear some real life drawbacks.<br>
Boredom?<br>
Monotony?<br>
Money problems? (due to only 1 income in the family for so many years)<br>
Diagreements with family members on your choice for schooling?(my mom has expressed absolute disgust for the idea. My dad was a ps principal for 30+ years and I respect him greatly)<br><br>
Anyway. Please share.<br><br>
AMy

·
Registered
712 Posts
I would think boredom and monotony are more of a problem in Public School. I vividly remember watching the clock in school, waiting, waiting, waiting for the bell to ring.<br><br>
Homeschool can be as exiting as you make it.<br><br><br>
I don't see too many downsides in our situation that are a result of homeschool.

·
Registered
594 Posts
finacial concerns for sure come into play, living on one income can be very tight but you learn to be frugal etc this is the case for many families with a SAHM even if not homeschooling.<br><br>
Disagreements with family come up, and with complete strangers, but I don't really see them as a problem over all, then again I am rather opinionated lol<br><br>
One challenge I face is while I love my children, and want to be home with them I never ever get a break, I am with them 24/7. As a single parent I do not have a spouse to take over for an hour or two int eh evening so I can recharge, or take a bath or go for a walk etc. I am still learning how to fit that in my day. The same thing happens with my kids, because the older 2 are so close in age even extracurrics they do together, they don't get much chance to be apart so the bickering kicks in and is stressful.<br><br>
Trying to get it all done, housework, working out of the home, schoolwork, baths, bed, outtings, grocery shopping, infant care and on and on, I suggest getting yourself in a routine and following it before you start homeschooling. I find My biggest challenge next to never having me time is there not being enough hours int eh day, about 1 day a week I pull lan all nighter to get the housework caught up etc.<br><br>
Boredom and monotony are never a problem though, each day is different and exciting.<br><br>
Despite it's challenges I love being home with my kids, I love seeing that Ah Ha! moment in their eyes and knowing I had a part in that, I love being so involved in their education and being able to continue guiding them to grow in the way I want, I love sleeping until 9 am, and doing math in our jammies. I would say for us at least the pros of homeschooling outweugh any challenges/cons.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
We are only doing HS preschool so far, but these are some ssues we've had so far. They are challenges, but they are not challenging enough to deter me from HSing.<br><br>
- Dealing with unsupportive family/friends and their anti-HS comments and, "concerns."<br><br>
- Getting me time away from the kids, I need to find a mommy's helper or something and continue to have my own interests apart from the kids.<br><br>
- My house is not as tidy as I would like it to be.<br><br>
- Not being able to find a secular/inclusive HS group. I live in a very christian area, so this is an issue that depends on where you live and what you believe.<br><br>
- I do worry about $. I am lucky my DH makes a decent living to meet our everyday needs, but I worry about saving enough for the kids' college funds and our retirement. I stew over whether or not I may want to get a PT job when the kids are older just for more rainy day $. I get the sick feeling that when my kids are grown up, my DH will get to retire from his career job and I will end up going back to work, which sucks.<br><br>
- Trying to have 1-1 time with my preschooler, but having to deal with a toddler who HAS to be the center of attn. It has caused me to relax quite a bit in our HS approach, but not willingly, lol. We are planning on ttc #3 sometime in the next yr or so, and I do worry about trying to entertain another toddler while having two older school aged children that need my attn and how I will do that w/o pulling out my hair.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts