Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NAK
1. he latches but takes forever. can't get him to open his mouth wide enough. any suggestions?
2. ped. wants me to sup cuz baby lost a little over a pound but he was 9 lbs, 9 oz. at birth, so i'm not too worried. should i be? supping now w/ breastmilk that i pumped, as i am engorged.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
1. Skin to skin, and check positioning.
2. What are all his weights, at what ages. Is he gaining yet?

Call your LLL Leader. Things can be much easier to sort out in an actual conversation.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
you could try a nipple shield. but I would consult an LC in person first if you can before going that route. the nipple sheild works wonders for little mouths and big boobs, but it can be a PITA to deal with.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've been going through the same thing, except my daughter is 2 weeks old & lost nearly a # in her first week. We weighed her before and after a feeding (her feedings take 45 - 60 minutes on one breast!) and she had only gained 0.8 oz. So I did begin supplementing about 20 - 30ml of formula or EBM per feeding with a syringe. Now she is gaining weight again and starting to latch better (maybe because she's gotten stronger with the extra calories and weight gained), so I'm starting to taper off the supplements. I'm not sure if it is that she is outgrowing her latch issues or I am producing more milk for her, but something is working! And I'm not sure if supplementing was or is the best thing to do, but we are working through it, and it allowed me to worry less about starving her and focus more on getting her to nurse better. If you do supplement, my only suggestion would be to start with as little as necessary and watch the baby's cues as to how much. I had trouble at first, because I suppkemented too much and she wanted to sleep for 4 hours between feeds! Good luck!

·
Registered
537 Posts
My situation sounds pretty close to yours and I am not the one to give advice as I may be considering scrapping the whole thing but....sometimes if I start my little dude on a bottle (nobody yell at me) with my expressed milk and let him get about 1/2 an oz down, he'll transition to the breast. I hope it works out for you!

·
Registered
147 Posts
First - congratulations on your new LO!!!

1 - Get in touch with your local LLL leader and ask if they'll come out and check your latch.
2 - positoning, positioning, positioning - butt back up against the chair so you're sitting up straight, use pillows AND your boppy (or whatever) to make sure baby is at nipple level, make sure baby's ear-shoulder-hip-knee-ankles are all in a straight line, your shoulders should be relaxed, remember to breathe, support your breast using a C or U hold depending on what nursing position you're in.
3 - timing - if it takes "forever" to get him to latch, try getting him on before he's ravenous. Make sure you're relaxed and calm (shoulders down, relaxing breathing).
4 - how was the birth? many babies benefit from a chiropractic adjustment and then go on nursing just fine. Birth can be difficult on babies necks and that makes it difficult for them to lay in a proper position and latch right.
5 - What does the suck look like? Do you see only little 'biting' type jaw movements or do you see great big jaw movements? Do you hear or see swallowing?
6 - Have you tried a "nipple sandwich?" This can help if you've got a baby with a small mouth and a mamma with larger nipples.
7 - www.drjacknewman.com has great latch on videos and excellent information

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
371 Posts
I had a similar problem with my LO not opening up wide enough. My LC said to say "Ahh" and model opening your mouth really wide before he goes on. I did this everytime and he actually starting mimicking me.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
For a baby that size, 15.3 ozs would the high end of normal loss. I would keep doing what you're doing though to save your milk supply. If he's not getting it out, you HAVE to pump and keep emptying your breasts. I would bf, pump, and then feed w/ a syringe at this point to make sure baby is getting food while you seek help. 2 Things to check, tongue tie and sucking strength. Those are the most common and cause baby not to be an efficient nurser and if you don't keep on top of emptying your breasts, the milk supply will go down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.