Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found out my 3 year old DD has a lot of allergies. The ND used the word "severe" but I am assuming that would mean that she has a lot versus the actual severity.<br><br>
We don't go in for our follow up until next week. I am just wondering if any of you could share (or point me to another thread) what changes you noticed in your child when you got rid of the foods they are allergic too.<br><br>
Thanks so much!

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
Are they allergies or intolerances?<br>
Two of my kids have a lot of intolerances (30-40 foods each) and some of them are severe (for instance DS will scream at the top of his lungs half awake/half asleep, clutching at his legs and stomach if he gets a little cross contamination of dairy on something, DD2 will get eczema or folliculitis from some citric acid [corn] in something).<br><br>
My DS had an initial withdrawal from gluten (3 days) but when I took out all the foods from his diet that showed up on his blood test, he no longer wet the bed, it took him 10 minutes to fall asleep instead of 2 hours, asking for just one more tuck-in, he was no longer the clingy, tantrumy needy child that he was. He didn't have stomachaches and his constipation got better. DD2 got rid of her eczema, stopped drinking a ton all day long, stopped wetting the bed, slept through the night. Both kids stopped snoring. There's more, but those are the highlights.<br><br>
What kind of testing was done?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
My dd came out of her shell and became more social. She looked healthier. She went from a dz night wakings to STTN. Her eczema went away. She was a happier kid, no longer losing it if the littlest thing went wrong. Her hair started to grow. She started to grow.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Our Naturopath did a blood test. I am not sure what it is called or if there is more then one type. She said she found this test more accurate then what she had used previously. I don't have any details yet as we don't have our follow up until next Tuesday. All I know is that the test came back with a lot of allergies or intolerances?! Not sure which one?<br><br>
DD ALWAYS has some sort of rash, eczema or other unidentifiable things, including getting hives once. She is shorter then I would expect as DH and I are quite tall and she is shorter then most kids her age. She also has had very poor sleep, despite trying lots of different things. Many times she will be crying and tossing and turning but not even fully awake. She also complains about tummy aches a lot, and recently started getting cankers - which was when I finally decided to take her in. Sometimes she just seems extra grumpy/ difficult for no reason... and it doesn't really fit with her overall personality.<br><br>
I am really interested to see how she improves once we get rid of the things our ND suggests. I am due with baby #2 in a couple of weeks, so that ND wanted to give me a heads up that it could be a hard adjustment with there being so many things on the list.<br><br>
I guess I just need to hear how it will all be worth it in the end!

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
When you get the list, give it to us and we'll help you think of (hopefully easy) things to make. We did the ALCAT test (intolerance) and it proved pretty accurate for my kids. Each one had a false negative, but they were already known foods for us.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much!! I also just saw the link to your blog too!<br><br>
No one in my family has known food restrictions (although I suspect my mom and myself to have an intolerance to wheat). Anyways this is all new to me.

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
With a younger child, it's easier to have everyone have the same restrictions (at least at first) so that they don't feel left out. And the side benefit is, that maybe you'll find out for sure whether you have that wheat intolerance you suspect. I found out about mine after my kids were diagnosed with theirs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts