Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently decided not to proceed with the agency we had initially chosen for our adoption.<br><br>
We had signed with them a few years ago when considering a waiting child, then put our adoption on hold when I discovered I was pregnant. This feels like a huge decision, as we committed to them and paid a significant deposit to begin the process (and it is non-refundable). But I believe it's the right thing.<br><br>
The agency no longer works with the countries we were considering, and none of the staff we initially corresponded with are still there. They actually closed the regional office in our state and didn't tell us. After contacting several of the staff, they were completely unapologetic, and have been almost standoffish in answering my questions. This is a large, reputable organization, so this really surprised me. Overall, it just didn't feel like a good fit.<br><br>
Have any of you changed agencies? What factors did you consider? And what convinced you of the "right" organization? (I have one in mind, but am a bit wary of making a decision.)

·
Registered
9,825 Posts
We didn't change agencies, but if you're not getting a good vibe from your current agency, I think it's a good idea to switch. I think the 'right' agency is the one that fits you best. There are so many factors to consider, and different people look for different things. In general though, I think that ethics, communication, and good recommendations from other people would be my top criteria.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts