Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I need advice and always find the mdc parents the smartest people on the web! I have a graduate degree and three kids. I worked ft for years in my field. For the past several years I have been doing freelance work in my field. I am considering going back to more steady work in a field that would represent a slight change (not completely different than what I have done for the past 10 plus years, but a slight shift in focus to spend more time on the parts of my job I like and am good at and less on the parts I don't). If you were in my position would you ---<br><br>
1. try to get unpaid or entry level work in the new field;<br>
2. obtain a graduate certificate (5ish classes obtained pt); or<br>
3. just start applying for the newish sorts of jobs I think I would be better at???

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Getting entry level work is really a last resort, IMO. Taking such a financial slam (assuming it is a slam) will be tough, it may be hard to get out of that role. It's so frustrating to KNOW you are being underpaid every day. And your annual raises will be based on that inadequate amount too. It could really set you back financially.<br><br>
Graduate work...... well, that really strongly depends on the field. I know in my business, getting graduate certificates is something almost always done while working full time, paid by the employer. In other fields, of course, a grad degree just gets you in the door.<br><br>
Your best bet would be to ask some experienced people in your field for their advice. Don't be shy, most people love to be asked questions that draw on their experience and expertise.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts