Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the divorce is final, Im going to change ds's name...<br>
Right now he has his dad's last name, and he has 2 middle names, the second one is my maiden name. So its easy enough to just 'drop' his dad's last name.<br><br>
The thing is, I want to change his middle name's spelling. Right now is 'Kamden' and I want it to be 'Camden' instead. I love the name Camden, and chose it b/c of 2 different Camden's that I really like. But when ds was born, his dad only agreed to Kamden as his middle name b/c he wanted him to have a 'K' name (his dads name starts with a K, ds's first name starts with an L and my name starts with an L)<br><br>
So would it be hard to change the spelling of his name sense his last name is going to be changed at the same time? He will get a new birth certificate anyways. The only things I'd have to change is in the first page of his baby book, and re-paint a small wall hanging with his newborn footprint on it!<br><br>
If it matters, I havent seen or heard from his dad sense he was 15months old (he will be 3 in July), and I probably will never hear from him. I am getting sole custody for sure, no child support involved<br><br>
Sorry if I made that more complicated than it needed to be

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
As long as you get sole legal/physical I don't see the problem with getting the spelling changed at the same time as changing the last name. If you do both at once you will only need to pay the fees and do all the paperwork once. My dp changed his first and last name it cost just under $300 and took 3/4 of a day of running around and court.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
If you have sole legal and physical custody and there are no limitations on changes to your ds's name in the agreement then it's my understanding that you can change the child's name as you wish.<br><br>
If the inital <i>Uniform Parentage Petition for Custody</i> (or perhaps the inital OSC) has not be ruled on yet you can add the change to the court docs there in the same place you requested the last name change. IF it has already been ruled upon but the ruling was recently you can create an sumbit a 1st Ammended Order and include both the middle name and last name in that Ammended order..... these steps ave you from having to do a separate name change filing with the courts.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks!<br><br>
Everything is supposed to be final soon (in theory, it was supposed to be done by the 1st of the year, but THAT didnt happen b/c SOMEONE is impossible to find... )<br><br>
I cant wait for this to be done with! I want ds to be able to get his passport so we can travel!

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I am having the same delima.... my dd's dad is actively avoiding service SMH! Thank goodness there are ways around that but they do slow the process.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts