Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My 13 month dd has gradually been changing his latch. I think it's partially to do with his teeth, and partially to do with his size - when we lie side by side in bed he likes to tuck his knees into my tummy while he nurses (we cosleep and he isn't night-weaned yet, by any stretch of the imagination). I wound up with a very painful plugged duct two weeks in a row, in the same spot - the entire upper right quadrant of my right breast (i.e. the entire feeder system behind a major blockage right behind the areola). I'm sure it's because he is somehow compressing that duct when he latches. My problem is that any attempt to correct his latch - i.e. open his mouth wider, pull out his top lip, adjust him so that his nose is further from my breast (and hopefully his teeth are no longer compressing that duct), is met with immediate pop-off and crying. If I attempt to correct his latch at night it is even worse - he ends up waking up completely and it takes much longer for us to get back to sleep.
:
Has anyone run into this issue at this age? Suggestions?
I HAVE tried different positions (football, or him sitting with his legs around my waist), and have even been nursing upside down (trying to point his chin at the problem area). This works okay in the daytime, but he is a much more frequent night nurser, and I can't very well flip him upside down in the middle of the night...
Help!

·
Registered
763 Posts
I noticed this with DD too - as they grow, the proportions change and you've got to renegotiate (true in so many senses...).

My suggestion would be to nursing sitting up and getting back to basics (bum in, open wide, tongue down,... you know the drill as you've been doing this long enough!
), but it doesn't really help you at night. If you can't turn him around, can you turn yourself upside down to at least get that part of the breast drained??

M.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.