Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to do a legal name change for myself. I'm from BC but now live in Quebec. It's starting to sound tricky b/c it says I must reside in BC for at least 3 months before the name change or at the time of the application and it looks like I may have to sign the application in front of someone in BC. If BC was closer like Ontario I'd arrange a little trip,but since it's on the other side of the country it is not possible,though I will be able to use my fathers address as my BC address at least.

Has anyone done a change of name in Canada while living in a province they were not born in? It's a simple name change or it should be. Really just correcting my last name at birth and getting rid of the first name and making my middle name my legal first name.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by missmich View Post
I need to do a legal name change for myself. I'm from BC but now live in Quebec. It's starting to sound tricky b/c it says I must reside in BC for at least 3 months before the name change or at the time of the application and it looks like I may have to sign the application in front of someone in BC. If BC was closer like Ontario I'd arrange a little trip,but since it's on the other side of the country it is not possible,though I will be able to use my fathers address as my BC address at least.

Has anyone done a change of name in Canada while living in a province they were not born in? It's a simple name change or it should be. Really just correcting my last name at birth and getting rid of the first name and making my middle name my legal first name.
I'm in the middle of doing this now, you have to get someone who is not family who has known you for over 2 years to vouch for you that you aren't using it to escape a warrent or for anything illegal. The cost is WAY higher and you have to have copies of your original birth certificate. At least this is how it is in NB. I don't know about Quebec. Its a really rough time is what I'm finding out, I'm trying to legally make my last name my dad's name not my mom's maiden name lol.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey that's what I'm trying to do as well,with the name change! I want my dads name to be name not my mothers maiden name.

Quebec is not that helpful at times! There must be a way to do it all from here though. I've all ready sent them some of my questions and will now have to wait til after the weekend to get an answer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.