Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I went out in the woods to forage for chanterelles with my husband and a friend this morning.  It's awfully late in the season and there wasn't much left, but among us we got just over 15 pounds of lovely meaty orange mushrooms!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm trying to figure out how best to use up mine, especially since my husband is leaving town for a few days tomorrow.  I'd like to preserve these if I can.  One friend said I could saute them with a bit of garlic and then freeze them to use in stuffing, frittata, etc. - what do y'all think of that, will it work?  (I am daydreaming of cornbread stuffing with leeks and chanterelles this Thanksgiving!)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I also have a recipe for a leek and chanterelle quiche.  Would that freeze well, do you think?  It'd be nice to just have it in the freezer for a nice company dinner.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Other suggestions?</p>

·
Registered
148 Posts
<p>Foraging for chanterelles? That sounds wonderful! You can dry them or freeze them. I cannot say I have ever froze mushrooms before though. I have dehydrated them. Leeks freeze well, and I would guess as long as you are cooking them later that would be okay. What I do if I am not sure if something will freeze well is I will make a dish and then just stick a few bites in the freezer. I try it out after that, and if it works out then I will know it is ok to freeze a whole dish.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Sure wish I knew how to forage mushrooms!!</p>

·
Registered
415 Posts
<p>Oh poor you!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I made a rocking mushroom lasagne a few weeks ago, its an Ina Garten recipe on foodnetwork.com.  You could assemble and freeze it.  Ummm, cream of mushroom soup.  Or you could make duxelles-  chop the shrroms, saute slow in butter until they almost form a paste and the moisture is gone, then freeze that in ice cubes.  You can throw them in rice pilaf, sauces, soups, gravy, omg they are magic.</p>

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<p>Ooh, great ideas, thanks to all!  Especially on the duxelles, I actually have a recipe that I forgot about so this is a good excuse to use it.  I appreciate the reminder.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Husband is off on a work trip and can bring back the most incredible smoked bleu cheese.  I told him if he brings me some of that cheese when he comes home later in the week, I'll put it in a chanterelle lasagna!</p>

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
<p>I had to use up a bunch of chanterelles recently.  I sauteed them with a bit of olive oil and froze them to use later.  Just saute till done and put them in a zip-loc bag.  Push out all the air and freeze them flat!</p>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts