Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night I woke up literally screaming (scared DH poor guy) with a charlie horse in my calf. The spasm passed quickly, but I couldn't fall back to sleep for hours (and worse couldn't get up to pee!) and this morning I can't even straighten my leg completely and am hobbling around like I broke my ankle.

(If labor feels anything like that I am done for. . .I was totally out of control for that minute while it lasted. I even had trouble doing a relaxation exercise after the cramp had passed! AHHHH.)

So I eat a banana everyday, and I take a cal-mag supplement about twice a week on top f my prenatals. I take walks and stretch most days (can't today now
). So I am just not sure what else I can do. If this is a regular pg thing I am going to want to die. . .between the sleep deprivation and not being able to walk right today, its just a killer. I absolutely cannot stretch the leg during or after the cramp, the best I can do is rub it. Anyone have this problem and what do you do?

TMI warning: I have had problems with diarrhea this entire pg. I wonder if this means I am not absorbing nutrient well and therefore having the cramps? I am trying some probiotics recently, but hasn't helped yet. Anyone have this problem?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I get them too, they are horrible! I also eat a banana everyday. They only thing I've found that even works remotely is to immediately flex my foot as much as I can as soon as I feel the charlie horse coming on. I'm a really light sleeper and they tend to strike as I'm waking up (and stretching) anyway. Sorry that I don't have any better advice. I feel your pain though.

Hope it gets better.

·
Registered
499 Posts
My mom keeps Apple Cider Vinegar (and water to wash it down!) on her night stand and take shots of it when she gets leg cramps.

It's harsh, but she swears by it.

Are you getting enough exercise? Maybe some stretching during the day would help relax your muscles at night

I hope you find relief soon!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I do Cal/Mag every night in liquid form and it totally works. My midwife says equal Cal/Mag is best and I do two tablespoons. Last pregnancy it worked too and as soon as I would run out of Cal/Mag the cramping would begin again Ugg!

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
I also take my calcium right before bed for this very reason. I remember waking up screaming in pain with my first pregnancy too. Sorry, I know it sucks!! The nighttime calcium keeps it down to a dull ache at most. And you must try to do a "toes to the nose!" stretch, even if you need DH to gently flex your foot for you- that calf muscle has shortened itself and has got to get stretched back out.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I haven't had them yet with this pregnancy, but I had them terribly with my son! Do you have cold tile in your bathroom? That's a tip my husband gave me for leg/foot cramps -- to stand on cold tile. It helped.

I never figured out how to prevent them, though.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I've had a lot of "threatened" cramps, I wake up as it starts to twinge and am able to stretch it before it gets full blown. But, I was active duty military, and remember waking up during Field Training literally screaming in the middle of the night, and it was charlie horses. OMG!!!

First of all, don't let this get your nervous about labor. TYPICALLY, labor comes on slowly and your body has a chance to aclimate a bit. PLUS, you have all the biological hormones helping you out. And it's pain that you EXPECT, this middle of the night torture is completely out of the blue when you were in a deep sleep! Completely different.

Also, from my experience, the first one is the hardest to recuperate from, I remember limping around the next day, too. BUt each subsequent one got a little easier to recover from.

I tried some Icy Hot on my legs before bed hoping to stave it off some, and it seemed to help a little bit. I couldn't alter my diet or exercise any since I was in formal training (you ate what they told you to, slept when they told you to, ran miles upon miles when they told you to...etc) Hydration is important!!!

Try to pay attention to your sleeping positions. If you find yourself on your back a lot, the pressure on your abdominal aorta from your uterus might be making the cramps worse. Stuff pillows all around you and try to sleep on your side if you can. That might help.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I got my first leg cramp (after being cramp free for at least a year) last week and I was not impressed!! I have tried to train myself not to stretch my legs in certain directions while sleeping. I find that stretching my toes towards my head really sets them off.

I also take cal-mag and eat bananas but I still find a random stretch will set them off.

They are so painful that I grab my DH and pound the bed with my fist until it is over. I also couldn't walk well the next day and was so mad.
:

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys. . .it is just as you'll said, I have had lots of trouble walking today and even now it feels sore and twingy (like it could get set-off on a cramp again at any minute) Somehow, its almost worse mentally. . .the thought of having another one really stresses me. Its just so freakishly painful!

I think I do need to stretch more before bed. . .going to bed with tension is never good. I used to be better about it, but lately have found stretching a little more awkward (just enough belly to make it seem odd), so I have been slacking.

Today I had a MW appt and when I mentioned it to her she immediately said "Calcium! Your body is telling you it needs calcium." She recommended lots more greens (broccoli, kale, spinach) and also a really good cal-mag supplement. As some mentioned she said to take it before bed (which I never knew and had never done before). . .I need to go buy some and hopefully this will give me some relief. Oh, and she also said, no its not like labor! Whew.

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
Sounds like a reason for your DH to be giving you leg rubs every night.

I had these in early pg, and my DH got on me about my vitamin intake - so I had to really work on getting enough fruits in my body (potassium, vit c, and everything else, but in nature's form). So I added a yogurt/fruit smoothie to my breakfast every morning, and I haven't had a leg cramp in months now.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
When I crawled into bed last night, I was thinking about this thread, and wouldn't you know it, a few hours later woke up with yet another "threatened" cramp...the feeling where you know it's coming at any second so you desperately start stretching and hold your breath!!!!

How's THAT for a psychosomatic response!

·
Registered
834 Posts
Whatever you do, when you stretch don't Point your toes! That causes the muscles to straighten out totally and the smaller muscle slips in between the larger muscle (for lack of a better way to describe it in laymans' terms! LOL)

Also, your calcium - does it have Vit D in it?? Calcium is much better absorbed in the presence of Vitamin D so make sure that the one you're taking has Vit D in it....

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was scared to go to bed last night, I was so afraid to have another leg cramp! But I made it the night without one, thank goodness!. . .but I am still going to get a better Cal-mag supplement as soon as I have a minute.

Let's keep each other posted on what seems to help!

·
Registered
268 Posts
I had one in my left foot that woke me up screaming last night. OMG! I was in tears. My husband was like "How are you ever going to give birth if you can't take a little cramp." I smacked him upside his head for that comment and told him birth can't hurt nearly as bad as a charlie horse. lol I'm hoping I'm right. I have no clue how to get rid of them. If anyone knows I'd love to know.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Okay -I shouldn't have read this thread! LOL I had one last night in my left leg - weirdly tho behind my knee??????????? NEVEr had one there before. Today it hurts sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much!!!!!!

And Melissa - as for childbirth hurting - there is a PURPOSE to the pain of childbirth - there is no purpose whatsoever on earth for a Charlie Horse. NONE!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.