Mothering Forum banner

How do you like Charlie's Soap?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering about Charlie's Soap. I am in search of the perfect detergent for ALL of our laundry, including diapers (pockets, prefolds, microfiber, etc.). I want a detergent that is reasonably priced (willing to pay more than store brands for it to be perfect), environmentally sound, cleans well (even muddy knees and smeared peanut butter), is FL/HE friendly, doesn't have an overpowering smell, isn't prone to build up, etc. I want perfect! Is it Charlie's? Tell me the good and bad!

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
I must admit, after reading some reviews on the boards here, I thought that it really was "the perfect detergent". Even though what I had was working fine, I decided to order some - especially since I had a separate laundry problem and had hoped that it would solve that.

You know what I found? It really wasn't the "perfect" detergent. It wasn't any better than anything else I had tried. In fact, in some ways it was worse than what I had on hand. It wasn't any better on my diapers than the Allens (in fact, for me, in many ways, the Allen's was better) and it didn't even touch my other laundry problem.

Unfortunately, I think that as far as detergents go, you just have to try a few out and see what works for your water/baby/washer combo. What someone else might hate could possibly be the best option yet, for you anyway!

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
It is nearly perfect....BUT...if I want whites really whites I need to add something, my sanitizing wash and charlie's don't do the job alone. I put baking powder and vinegar though I'm not sure we have very hard water.

That's all though...and since it's less chemical than whatever else is around ( like all and free etc) and cheaper I'll continue using it.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
I've been using Charlies for about 5 months now. I have no complaints. I don't really no what else to say about it - I use it for my dipes & everything else. Clothes seem clean, no odor, and I like that it's totally rinsable. In fact, I just ordered more today.

·
Registered
8,849 Posts
i LOVE Charlies. the only problems i have with it is that i DO have to sun stained diapers after washing cause it doesnt get everything WHITE. but we also stopped using biokleen bac-out when we started using CHarlies.. so that could be the reason as well.

it gets my towels fluffy and absorbant, it cleans my clothes and doesnt leave perfumes on them (i am highly sensitive to that crap) and it washes my diapers perfectly.

i add an extra rinse to the daipers, cause i am paranoid about leaving even the tiniest ammount of suds and her potentially getting a rash, but from what i have heard, most moms dont add the extra rinse. and i dont do it to our clothes...

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
I love Charlie's!

As for stains -- the only stains I have to deal with are poopy inserts that have sat in the pail long enough to dry

I run them through the same wash as usual but if they retain the stains, I squirt Charlie's directly on them and toss them back in the pail to sit until next wash.

Next wash they're totally white again.

Charlie's is awesome!

·
Registered
8,849 Posts
we use powedered.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I just recently started using it and love it. It really works great. I like that you can get 80 loads out of one $12 bag. Actually more than that because I use 1/2 tablespoon for my cloth diapers. It gets all of our laundry clean. It even says not to use fabric softener (for regular laundry of course). I was very skeptical about that part. I was very big on fabric softener and my husband even more so than me. I tried using it with no fabric softener and was pleasantly surprised. Our clothes felt great. Now I get to save even more money on having to not buy and fabric softener sheets or liquid. I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Quote:
I tried using it with no fabric softener and was pleasantly surprised. Our clothes felt great. Now I get to save even more money on having to not buy and fabric softener sheets or liquid.
Ditto that. I would say that our clothes (even jeans) are still very, very soft. Maybe just a touch less soft than with Bounce dryer sheets (what I've always used in the past), but they are still quite soft and certainly soft enough to warrant not using dryer sheets. I am so thrilled with the Charlie's soap so far. We've just been using it for a few weeks, but so far so good.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'd say as close to perfect as you are going to get. I think by the nature of detergent, you will not find perfect (there is a REASON those other detergents add all those other brighteners and such!)

The only thing I would give Tide over Charlie's is stain removal w/o pretreaters(and really, it's only Tide that I've found is so good at stain removal. Charlie's is better at stain removal than any other detergent I've tried). Tide is SLIGHTLY better. BUT all the other pluses for Charlie's FAR outweigh this one. I just make sure I'm good about using pretreaters on those especially stubborn stains.

HTH!

·
Registered
464 Posts
I'm very happy with Charlie's so far, but I do notice that his bibs and shirts stain a little more than they did before. Of course, we started solids and Charlie's at the same time, so it could be more due to the solids. I've also noticed some poop stains (mostly on wipes), but they seem to wash out after a few times through. I do still have some hemp stink, though, which was what I was hoping to eliminate completely using Charlie's. I'm going to have to mess with the rest of my routine and see if that helps (I'm thinking of eliminating the baking soda in the first rinse).

Overall, I'm really pleased with it. I love how well it rinses! I used it on my towels and ended up stripping them of 7 years of gunk--it was really amazing how much was in them.
I thought some of them had been lost for good with what seemed like mold, but it turns out it was just detergent buildup! It's like I've got a whole new set of them now, and I am very pleased. Charlie's does keep them very soft and natural feeling. I think it's a great detergent if you don't mind a bit of staining.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone! It does seem like a good option. I am tired of searching for the perfect detergent. I just want to have one and stick with it! I might try Tide, though, since it is cheap and easily available. But I don't like strong scents. How scented is regular Tide?

Do most of you use powdered of liquid Charlie's? I am thinking of getting powdered but then maybe a small container of liquid to spray on stains. I have a crappy HE/FL.

ETA: I saw some votes for not liking Charlie's at all. Can you elaborate? What don't you like? What do you use instead?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I just wanted to clarify. When I talked about Tide and stain removal, I was talking about our regular clothes. Tide did NOT work for dd diapers... she got a rash from it b/c I couldn't rinse it clean enough, especially in a FL. We were muddling by w/ SportWash, but it took lots of cycles and the addition of baking soda & vinegar.

Oh, and we use the powdered variety. There are a few extra additives in the liquid that help keep it as a liquid. With the liquid, it worked, but had to do all the same stuff I did w/ SportWash... mainly b/c from what I've been told, they are almost identical in content.

For reference, if you are still in search of a detergent, I've found this site to be TREMENDOUSLY helpful: http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.co...entchoices.htm

HTH!

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
I used powdered Charlies. And for stain removal I absolutely LOVE Bac-Out. I use it on anything & everything I can think of (works great & I love the smell - I'm normally extremely sensitive to smells).

·
Registered
10 Posts
it made my diapers smell like a hamster cage! I have hard water. It works ok for normal clothes though, it makes them soft without softner, but does not work at all for my diapers

you can request a sample. t hat's what I did and I'm soooo glad I just got a sample!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.