Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into this method and liking it
All those books are terrific! I love them all. The only problem....how expensive does this get? Oh my goodness. Anyone who does this method, let me know how you afford it?
:

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
Tell me about it. I have just purchased almost all of year 1 and year 2 books over the past three months. I think I have have spent around $800 just on the books, maybe more. All I can say is DH wasn't thrilled but he took it on the chin.

Many of the books are available online and can be printed. Amazon have quite a few of the books and if you look on Abebooks you can pick them up used. Someone on the Amblesideonline email list has created book lists on Amazon which might be of help to you. There are quite a few lists for each year, so you will need to search for the one/s you are interested in.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/lis...2005715?page=0

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
I don't do CM so forgive me if this is a stupid question, but can't you just take them from the library? You're talking about reading books right?

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShannonCC
I don't do CM so forgive me if this is a stupid question, but can't you just take them from the library? You're talking about reading books right?
Jumping back in here. I would doubt the library would have all that many of the books, but I am sure you could find some there. The cheapest way of doing it is by printing them yourself, but not all the books are available online.

The whole Amblesideonline curriculum is based on reading books and there are a lot of them. With CM you take your time to read the books, many are read over a whole school year, so taking them out of the library wouldn't be so practical. Some of the books I bought are long out of print and expensive to buy used. I paid over $50 for a few of the books I needed.

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
we are doing ambleside and are gathering books right now. it is a costing a fortune. the few books the library has can't be checked out over the long haul (and are the ones I most want to own anyway). even so they only have a few of them. So we sold somehting large, I got a big order that brought in a lot of money, and we are scraping together another $200 from the budget. we are buying for year one and year 4 and it is going to be about $700 (I really think those are the two most expensive years) it is insanely expensive. but most of these books will take us through at east year 6 and through all three children. this will, be the only time we have to lay out this much money and then in the end we can sell a lot of them and recover most of what we put out.

·
Registered
11,576 Posts
Following a CM path doesn't require the use an any particular books. The theory can be adapted to ANY good book. Actually, I think that is part of the point.

You can do CM with blank paper, a few binders, colored pencils, and a library card.

If you want to follow someone else's reading list, then yes it might cost a fortune, but chances are your library system has stacks of wonderful books on any subject your kids care to learn about for free (except for those pesky over due fines!)

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I second Linda's comments. While we don't do full CM, we use some of her ideas, good books, short lessons, time in nature. All of these things are inexpensive. And the books we do but are quality items that will be used again and again.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by uccomama
Jumping back in here. I would doubt the library would have all that many of the books, but I am sure you could find some there.
Actually, I think that the library would probably have, or be able to inter library loan, most of the books needed.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I'd say this: I have a friend who SWEARS by CM. However, I know that she does not spend a fortune.
Other than that, can you get library books through an inter-library loan? Check into it. Or just use them lightly and re-sell them. That's what I did with my Waldorf books and I found that I really re-couped quite a bit of my expenses.

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Linda on the move
Following a CM path doesn't require the use an any particular books. The theory can be adapted to ANY good book. Actually, I think that is part of the point.

You can do CM with blank paper, a few binders, colored pencils, and a library card.

If you want to follow someone else's reading list, then yes it might cost a fortune, but chances are your library system has stacks of wonderful books on any subject your kids care to learn about for free (except for those pesky over due fines!)
Yes, but lilyka and I are using the Amblesideonline curriculum. In addition to that I have also purchased some books that were actually used in Charlotte Mason's PNEU schools that are not on AO booklists and these are rare hard to find books. You are also correct in that Charlotte Mason's methods don't have to only be used in conjunction with the AO curriculum, any book will do, but with AO you know you are not reading twaddle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by numom499
Actually, I think that the library would probably have, or be able to inter library loan, most of the books needed.
Maybe so, but some of the books are used for up to 6 years, many are used for two or three years, so getting them on inter library loan wouldn't really be practical. The whole point of the Charlotte Mason approach is to go slowly and savour the books, if you have them on inter library loan, you just won't be able to do that.

The Amblesideonline website does offer suggestions to those on a tight budget on which books to buy, which to get from the library and which are available online.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by uccomama

Maybe so, but some of the books are used for up to 6 years, many are used for two or three years, so getting them on inter library loan wouldn't really be practical. The whole point of the Charlotte Mason approach is to go slowly and savour the books, if you have them on inter library loan, you just won't be able to do that.

oh, I know all about the savoring
i just keep requesting the books I need, over and over again...as my friend says, I'm at the library more times than you wipe your a$$. seriously, its like a part time job for me, lol. also, I have found that if i interlibrary loan enough times, often the library will purchase a copy for our collection.

I think there are some books that are more useful than others to own. Unfortunately, we do not have enough space to own them all. And homeschooling should never beak the bank.

op - do you have any friends that you could maybe swap with?

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies
No, I don't even really know anyone IRL who homeschools (or probably who even has quality books
) I'm wondering if I could discreetly suggest to family members that books would make wonderful gifts around here
Maybe if I start collecting now if won't seem like that much money in the long run. Ds is only 6 months
If I change my mind on curriculum (or lack of) I don't really think good books would be a waste of money....I guess we'll see how it goes. The good thing is you can reuse the books for all your kids. We have dreams of country living in the near future so a library probably won't be all that practical for us

·
Registered
11,576 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrose_lee
Ds is only 6 months
If I change my mind on curriculum (or lack of) I don't really think good books would be a waste of money(
Good books are never a waste! I started picking up wonderful books on clearance tables when my girls where quite young. Some of the things I got they use all the time -- an encyclopedia of animals that is huge and cost $4, an explorer's atlas of the world (shows the path of different explorers) for $1, etc.

We've had different approaches to homeschooling at different times, but wonderful books are always a big part of what we do.

Although someone else's list can help get you started, don't get too hung up on it. There are some books that make other people's list that I don't care for, and books that my kids have gotten a ton out of that I've never seen on a list but just stumbled across.

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
there are certainauthors I am requesting as gifts, Holing C Holling, Milne, Stevenson and D'aulaire (can you believe the library doesn't have these?!! they have a zillion Junie B Jone and American Girl books - like 10 full sets of each but not a single one of these) and we are also requesting good collections of poetry, art prints books and collections of classical music. Sure all these things can be borrowed or viewed/listened to online but really if I am going to spend money on anything at all good music, literature, and artare it. more than a new car, more than a new couch, more than a membership somewhere. . .

my first exposure to CM was Jan Bloom who sells Living books and after her lectures I grew very pasisonate about owning books. and wy it was so important to have good books in your home. We have recieved a couple Holling C Holling books and the way my kids were glued to them for the last month convinces me of why having these books around is so important. there is no way we would ever be able to "return" these and I look forward to passing them down to the next generation. and the next . . .

and unlike boxed ciriculums even we change our mind and goa completely difernt direction these books will always be valuble and useful for us. you just can't beat an investment in good books.

·
Registered
11,576 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lilyka
D'aulaire
These were the books that convinced me that I shouldn't follow someone else's reading list. Some of their books are very racists and historically inaccurate. (I haven't read all their books -- just Washington, Leif the Lucky, and Columbus. All 3 have serious problems and I gave up on the series after that.)

Although your library doesn't have them, they can get them for you from another library system though interlibrary loan. I would HIGHLY recommending reading these books yourself before going to a lot of expense to add them to your personal library.

I regret that I read Columbus to my kids without prereading it. We stopped it in the middle and I explained to them why we wouldn't be finishing it. It was really not the history lessons I had planned! It is a very, very racist book.

Also, if you are trying to get a used copy of the Holling book, make sure you get the updated and not the orginal. The updated version leaves out the racism that was prevelant in the earlier editions.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Also since you have time on your side check out Bookcloseouts. They often get amazing books at amazing prices...so you won't be able to pick up everything on your list there but if you HAVE a list you can keep your eyes open for those books to come through. I have gotten some really amazing deals there!

Steph

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
woohoo! i got my first shipment of new books today (notice - if you order a lot of books from barnes and noble they will ship them 2 or 3 at a time.)

its like Christmas around here. I love watching my dd get excited about books. AO has Robison Crusoe scheduled sometime in the spring. She decided she couldn't wait. She squeeled when i read the back to her

so for those of you thinking about using AO and wondering if the books are worth it:

today we got the Handbook of nature study (HUGE!! almost 1000 pages). and ust full of everything you ever wanted to know about natural things.

we got a couple Holling C Holling books. I don't know if they are ever on the list but I loved the first one we got so I bought all the rest. I love these books.

and we got "it couldn't just hapen". feeling pretty indifferent about that one. i t is ok but shallow. the information is presented in a pretty fun way.

and we got Ben Franklin - i haven't had time to read it but the pictures are really great.

but I am getting more and more excited about this.

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
I highly recommend www.paperbackswap.com

It has worked out great for us

If they ask how you found out just put Angelbee

Books through them are free. You just have to pay shipping to send books you have to others. You can also purchase credits though for like $2.50 a book. That is cheaper then you can get them used anyway usually.

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
that is a cool sight. I will definietly have to round up some books to post. Didn't find any on emy list - bummer - but never the less, I htink I have some swappin' to do

1 - 20 of 46 Posts