Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 367 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I know it should say the 19th to 25th. Shush. My house looks nice.

Yay! A new week again!
: Only 5 to go, supposedly, although if you tuned in to last week's episode (
), you know it may very well be sooner.

On a personal note, I managed to get some freezer meals done so that I don't have to worry about "the boys" starving while I'm in the hospital. I used one this week, showing DH how to do it.
(Have I mentioned the best he can do in the kitchen is fry an egg and/or make pasta from a box? Neither skill really helps DS1 stay fed much.
)
And, of course, I'm nesting. Beware, cobwebs! Jacqueline is coming with her broom of doom!! Mwahahaha!

Anyway, the requisite links:
Chat thread links
A book recommendation from deditus for those of us struggling with the detox puzzle.

Don't forget about menomena's supplement swap thread.
And, on the supplement note, lastrid has found a gluten and soy free vitamin E.

Perstephone is asking for assistance with salicylates and asking if anyone has any experience with "Phenol assist" enzymes on this thread.
Another member asking for advice on adding foods in after an ED- what are the best fruits and veggies?
Ophelia is wanting to know if there's anything better for trialling wheat than wheat berries.

momofmine is asking if anyone has any experience with parasites if they could check out her thread.
Faithwings is having difficulties accepting that food may be the culprit and needs some encouragement.
And one more mama, alexaskj, who needs encouragement and maybe some advice.

As always, welcome to any and all new members. Jump right in with both feet, we don't bite (and only bark on our bad days)! We're happy to help you in any way we can, but sad you can join us.

·
Premium Member
8,750 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by springmum View Post
To add a strange twist of events. Apparently pine cone helps get rid of the mucous in DS's poo's - so I will be out harvesting pine cones to add to every meal from now on

Quote:

Originally Posted by momofmine View Post
cs, the "open" windows in the bedroom would make me VERY nervous. That sounds very odd. Do you mean there is just nothing there at all, and you look down to the next floor??
Yep, you got it. It's an open loft design, so the bedrooms look right down into the living room. Which I love.... just not so much with a baby in the house.

Ok- I'm going to show you guys the house.
These pictures don't show the bedroom 'windows', but it does kind of show the open living room. And where the roof juts up on one half, that wall is completely windows. Hard to explain... wish they did a better job with the pictures.
http://www.windermere.com/index.cfm?...ingID=35411231

eta: it does actually show one of the windows. In the picture with the woodstove and the red wall on the left, you can see one of the bedroom 'windows' up on the left wall.

Quote:

So guys, the folic acid is a NO, right? Don't take a supp with folic acid in it, correct?

But the folate is pretty much fine for anyone, correct again?
But the wording can be confusing... because many supps that I've seen don't tell you what form the folate/folic acid is in. And some say folate/folic acid/folinic acid interchangably.

·
Premium Member
10,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forgot to mention, pine tea is often used as a medicinal for the flu by the Cree... Wonder if that has anything to do with the pine cone thing?

CS- I love the house. Of course, I may be biased since it has a couple of red walls. Is that a gas range in the kitchen? And is it a pellet or wood stove?
I think the windows into the rooms would really look great if you sheet rocked them and put shelves up there facing into the living room or if you hung a nice big picture in the center of it, leaving it recessed. And what's with the hole in the kitchen ceiling? That workshop looks huge and awesome, although it would look much better with concrete leading to the garage doors for sure.
I think you did a great job of explaining it.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
CS - that looks like a great house. I hope it works out for you.

Ok, new question....

Exercise makes me irritable. Especially the next day. So I'm thinking its a detox thing. I'm breaking things down during exercise but not able to detox the byproducts.

So what would they be? Do I need more Bs?

·
Premium Member
10,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
But the wording can be confusing... because many supps that I've seen don't tell you what form the folate/folic acid is in. And some say folate/folic acid/folinic acid interchangably.
True. I wonder if the company would tell you what form they use if you contacted them?

·
Premium Member
10,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
Exercise makes me irritable. Especially the next day. So I'm thinking its a detox thing. I'm breaking things down during exercise but not able to detox the byproducts.

So what would they be? Do I need more Bs?
I could be wrong, but this may just be a signal that you're overdoing it. It's really not hard with poorly functioning adrenals. Some people can't even handle light exercise until they've been supporting their adrenals for quite some time.

·
Premium Member
8,750 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
CS- I love the house. Of course, I may be biased since it has a couple of red walls. Is that a gas range in the kitchen? And is it a pellet or wood stove?
I think the windows into the rooms would really look great if you sheet rocked them and put shelves up there facing into the living room or if you hung a nice big picture in the center of it, leaving it recessed. And what's with the hole in the kitchen ceiling? That workshop looks huge and awesome, although it would look much better with concrete leading to the garage doors for sure.
I think you did a great job of explaining it.

hmmm... I don't think I noticed the stove at all, so I couldn't tell ya.
The 'hole' in the ceiling is just a light fixture (flourescent tube) without a cover on it. Yeah- awesome garage/workshop. DP and I would both have a ball with that. Good idea about the picture in the recess- that would be pretty cool.

I'm not sure we're even going to put an offer on this one... we're still thinking about it.

·
Premium Member
10,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm tired today and avoiding my to do list.
Meanwhile, I'm making more work for myself- I just had DH pull the carpet out of the corner room so I can clean the floors in there so I can wash the walls.
I looked at the pictures again.

The railing on the stairs and 2nd landing seems kind of wide to me for a LO. You'd have to put in more rungs between them. Also, the yard looks a little boggy. Did you walk around in it at all?

·
Premium Member
8,750 Posts
Quote:

I'm tired today and avoiding my to do list.
Meanwhile, I'm making more work for myself- I just had DH pull the carpet out of the corner room so I can clean the floors in there so I can wash the walls.
I looked at the pictures again.

The railing on the stairs and 2nd landing seems kind of wide to me for a LO. You'd have to put in more rungs between them. Also, the yard looks a little boggy. Did you walk around in it at all?
hmmm... I think I just briefly stepped through it, and don't remember what it felt like. Yeah, the railings aren't really baby friendly, or are the open stairs (at least I don't think so.) Man- I'm going to have you look at all my houses- you notice all sorts of stuff that I don't!!

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
JR - You do such an awesome job with these chat threads, thank you! I can't believe you are so close, you must be so excited!

CS - That's a beautiful house! I would have a hard time getting past the sound of the train, but then noise just really bothers me. But I love the back yard and the house looks really spacious.

I have a question. I need to buy some more more yogurt starter and I have been buying mine from Custom Probiotics. They now have 2 formulations. One has L. Bulgaricus, S. Thermophilus and L. Acidophilus. The other one has L. Bulgaricus, S. Thermophilus, L. Acidophilus, L. Casei and B. Longum. Is there a reason not to go with the second formulation which has more strains?

Another question. I really want to start taking some yoga classes again. The only yoga studio close to me practices bikram (hot) yoga. I have heard varying things about whether that is a bad idea while nursing. Thoughts?

Also, Lincoln is doing well right now. They did not get all the bad parts of his intestine during the surgery because part of it was behind blood vessels and inaccessible, so they are hoping it heals on its own. The next week will be critical for him. But yesterday he opened his eyes for the first time and was doing much better than expected. So we are really hopeful.

·
Premium Member
10,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

hmmm... I think I just briefly stepped through it, and don't remember what it felt like. Yeah, the railings aren't really baby friendly, or are the open stairs (at least I don't think so.) Man- I'm going to have you look at all my houses- you notice all sorts of stuff that I don't!!
DH says I'm too picky when we're house hunting. I'm not picky. I just notice stuff. I go through and open every door, including cupboard doors and ask about everything I see. He hated taking me house hunting. "I see there's some water damage under the kitchen sink... Has that been dealt with? It looks like this wall has been patched- what happened there? The shower head seems a little scaley- how hard is the water? I see a dog run outside- was it allowed inside? I notice that the foliage in this area is marshy, is there a problem with standing water here?" If I'm going to buy a house, I want to know EVERYthing about it.
We had similar stairs in our old house (the open loft one). DS2 navigates them just fine now but I can't imagine him learning to climb stairs on them.

·
Premium Member
10,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not sure excited is the right word for what I'm feeling just yet, though I've had flashes of excitement here and there. I'd go more with "terrified" or "concerned". We're still so far from being ready for this baby, imo.
Every step we get to being closer gets me closer to being excited though.
I think I'm going to put off unpacking my bathroom today and concentrate on cleaning the corner room. That's the room DS2 is supposed to move into (with a "big boy bed"
so the new LO can share my and DH's room. Not sure how we're going to swing that transition now. I was hoping it would be done MONTHS ago so he wouldn't associate the new baby with getting "kicked out" of his old room and bed (crib cum toddler bed), iykwim.
Thanks for the compliment.
I've heard that bikram can release too many toxins too quickly compared to hatha... but I never did any research into it so I'm not certain.
I'm so glad to hear that Lincoln is doing well right now. You all continue to be in my prayers. How exciting that he opened his eyes!

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
Quote:

But there are netting-type things you can buy specifically meant for situations like these, someone I knew a few years ago used them for just that situation. Not trying to say you _should_ buy, just that there are reasonable solutions if you would otherwise want to.

Quote:

Also, the yard looks a little boggy. Did you walk around in it at all?
It's Seattle! I didn't realize that it wasn't normal to spend the first half of every day in school with wet feet, from the walk to the school bus, all year long. It's only now, as an adult, that I think, I was okay with that?!?

Quote:

Originally Posted by waluso View Post
I have a question. I need to buy some more more yogurt starter and I have been buying mine from Custom Probiotics. They now have 2 formulations. One has L. Bulgaricus, S. Thermophilus and L. Acidophilus. The other one has L. Bulgaricus, S. Thermophilus, L. Acidophilus, L. Casei and B. Longum. Is there a reason not to go with the second formulation which has more strains?

I made yogurt (well, fermented coconut milk) from a regular probiotic capsule once, and it had a very odd smell, and I think it was one of the extra, non-traditional-yogurt strains of probiotic that was in it. But I'm guessing if they're selling this as a yogurt starter, the sulfur-y strain isn't included, cause it really wasn't appetizing.

Another question. I really want to start taking some yoga classes again. The only yoga studio close to me practices bikram (hot) yoga. I have heard varying things about whether that is a bad idea while nursing. Thoughts?
I know there's a type of yoga that people do specifically to help with detox, and bikram sounds familiar, but I'm not knowledgeable enough on yoga to be sure.

Quote:

I've heard that bikram can release too many toxins too quickly compared to hatha... but I never did any research into it so I'm not certain.
I was thinking the same thing. And I'm really impressed with your organization, and your energy level. I don't have energy like that even when I'm NOT pregnant, let alone just a few weeks away from birthing kiddo. But, I am happy with who I am, and I am the right mother for my kids (how's that for a good affirmation when you start to feel inadequate?
).

Chlobo--I've heard some folks can have detox reactions from exercise--hey, since you've got your modifilan, you can try to figure it out by taking extra when you feel like that. For me, I think it would be adrenal-related, but I'm sort of a wimp, and I haven't felt like really exercising in who knows how long, so I don't tend to overdo that (to get to the detox reaction). I do feel tired out (not irritable, but tired, low-energy) the day after I'm fairly busy (not as busy as Jacqueline, but I have some days when I am getting a fair amount done).

·
Premium Member
10,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm still not used to coastal living, I haven't grown the feathers required for all this rain yet. I'm still shedding my polar bear fur.

Quote:
But, I am happy with who I am, and I am the right mother for my kids (how's that for a good affirmation when you start to feel inadequate?
).
That's a great affirmation. I will have to remember it when I'm getting down on myself for organizing the fun out of life.
Another one of the reasons I married DH is that he's more spontaneous than I am and reminds me to relax, I don't have to account for every minute of the day. My brothers used to look at my schedules and ask me if I had remembered to schedule in time to pee.
I can get a little OCD.

I watch you ladies mentioning "We went to the park and had a great time!" or some other spontaneous thing which I would plan a week in advance before doing (which is just about everything) and get envious. I admire the spontaneity and fun you all seem to just... have. Not planned. Just living and enjoying life. I think that's why I love you all so much. You remind me of the people I have chosen to surround myself with through out life to "balance" me.
I'm much too serious, much of the time.
Not saying you all aren't ever serious...

I suppose that's one thing I can be grateful for about getting hypothyroidism. It forced me to slow down and not schedule every minute of the day and allow for- and NEED- a little more flexibility, as well as teaching me that it's okay not to follow a schedule. It's okay to not clean the bathroom today at 10:30am, it will still be there at 1pm or tomorrow even! And things don't have to be done perfectly or not at all (a standard I only expected of myself). Half-arsed is better than nothing and, sometimes, the best you can do.

·
Premium Member
8,750 Posts
Quote:

DH says I'm too picky when we're house hunting. I'm not picky. I just notice stuff. I go through and open every door, including cupboard doors and ask about everything I see. He hated taking me house hunting. "I see there's some water damage under the kitchen sink... Has that been dealt with? It looks like this wall has been patched- what happened there? The shower head seems a little scaley- how hard is the water? I see a dog run outside- was it allowed inside? I notice that the foliage in this area is marshy, is there a problem with standing water here?" If I'm going to buy a house, I want to know EVERYthing about it.
We had similar stairs in our old house (the open loft one). DS2 navigates them just fine now but I can't imagine him learning to climb stairs on them.
No way- that's not too picky at all!!! I get distracted by the big picture (will we have to replace flooring, what's the lot size, bedroom sizes, etc.) and forget to look at the small details. So I appreciate you mentioning those things, because I really do need to start looking at that stuff.

Quote:

I'm not sure excited is the right word for what I'm feeling just yet, though I've had flashes of excitement here and there. I'd go more with "terrified" or "concerned". We're still so far from being ready for this baby, imo.
Every step we get to being closer gets me closer to being excited though.
I think I'm going to put off unpacking my bathroom today and concentrate on cleaning the corner room. That's the room DS2 is supposed to move into (with a "big boy bed"
so the new LO can share my and DH's room. Not sure how we're going to swing that transition now. I was hoping it would be done MONTHS ago so he wouldn't associate the new baby with getting "kicked out" of his old room and bed (crib cum toddler bed), iykwim.
I'm so excited for you!!! You will be ready. Everything will fall into place exactly as it should.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by waluso View Post

Also, Lincoln is doing well right now. They did not get all the bad parts of his intestine during the surgery because part of it was behind blood vessels and inaccessible, so they are hoping it heals on its own. The next week will be critical for him. But yesterday he opened his eyes for the first time and was doing much better than expected. So we are really hopeful.
Also heard "hot" yoga is no-no for nursing mama's.

That's great that Lincoln is doing well! To see his little eyes open must have been wonderful for his mama!

CS- if the house isn't screaming "PICK ME! PICK ME!" it might be worth the wait...

JR - thanks for the new thread, and your support in the last one! I'm also very excited that you will have a little one to snuggle very soon!
Also interesting about the pine tea - I love that nature is able to provide is with so much that I don't even know about.

·
Registered
6,476 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by neveryoumindthere View Post
I wish I had some water kefir now! for some reason I keep forgetting/procrastinating. I don't want to wait for shipping. i don't want to purchase online. I just want it here right now

Do you have a local WAPF group? That's where I got my grains (twice now
).

Quote:

Originally Posted by springmum View Post
Oh yes, I am in counseling. DH and I started counseling together, but he only went for a couple of sessions and has chose not to continue at this point. He is aware of his temper, but doesn't think he needs help for it. We are working on it. The only reason I haven't left is b/c the man I fell in love with is still in there somewhere. Having a baby just really brought out a lot of anger in him (directed at me NOT our son, he is very good with our son)
There is a lot of work left to do, I take it one day at time at this point, and just hope that he is willing to accept help again soon.
It's hard to prioritize with DS's intolerances, and DH/my issues - both are important and can't be ignored.
Thank you for asking though - hugs
I vote adrenals as well, because that was me and adrenal vits turned it off for me. Do you think if you could figure out which one's he needs and it was just a (hand selected) multi plus one or two vitamins (as opposed to herbs or glandulars) he'd be more willing? Does he have KP and strong nails?

Quote:

So guys, the folic acid is a NO, right? Don't take a supp with folic acid in it, correct?

But the folate is pretty much fine for anyone, correct again?
It seems like folate should be fine (though expensive) for anyone, but the metagenics dosage for folapro is 800mcg. That's twice the RDA for "normal" people. I'm taking twice that right now

Quote:

I believe the one that whoMe uses is Metagenics brand and it has folate, if I'm not mistaken. My Thorne Basic prenatal also has folate. What you're looking for is a form of folate called 5-methylhydrofolate (5-MTHF). Second best is folinic acid, I think, although those with MTHFR mutations may not be able to process one to the other.
It seems like folinic acid needs less processing than folic acid, but that's not the part that catches most people up - it's the conversion to active folate that causes the issues. It's on my to do list to look up the Thorne multi's and see if there's one I like.

cs - our stairs are open and the railing is wide, but they're carpeted. Yeah, it's a great look
. So not quite the same (yours seem scarier), but dd didn't have issues with them at all. I think her head got stuck in the railing like once and she freaked out and didn't do it again. I can take a pic if you want to compare. Oh wait. PM me and I'll link you to the commercial for dh's iphone app. it's got the stairs in the background

·
Registered
6,476 Posts
Quote:

I'm still not used to coastal living, I haven't grown the feathers required for all this rain yet. I'm still shedding my polar bear fur.

That's a great affirmation. I will have to remember it when I'm getting down on myself for organizing the fun out of life.
Another one of the reasons I married DH is that he's more spontaneous than I am and reminds me to relax, I don't have to account for every minute of the day. My brothers used to look at my schedules and ask me if I had remembered to schedule in time to pee.
I can get a little OCD.

I watch you ladies mentioning "We went to the park and had a great time!" or some other spontaneous thing which I would plan a week in advance before doing (which is just about everything) and get envious. I admire the spontaneity and fun you all seem to just... have. Not planned. Just living and enjoying life. I think that's why I love you all so much. You remind me of the people I have chosen to surround myself with through out life to "balance" me.
I'm much too serious, much of the time.
Not saying you all aren't ever serious...

I suppose that's one thing I can be grateful for about getting hypothyroidism. It forced me to slow down and not schedule every minute of the day and allow for- and NEED- a little more flexibility, as well as teaching me that it's okay not to follow a schedule. It's okay to not clean the bathroom today at 10:30am, it will still be there at 1pm or tomorrow even! And things don't have to be done perfectly or not at all (a standard I only expected of myself). Half-arsed is better than nothing and, sometimes, the best you can do.

If you keep talking about getting stuff done, I'll tell you whenever we randomly do stuff like the park
I used to make schedules in high school when I had too much going on, but then I had to either memorize it or ignore it cause it was too much to go back and check what I was supposed to be doing. I feel better when I actually get up and get stuff done.

·
Premium Member
10,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
It seems like folinic acid needs less processing than folic acid, but that's not the part that catches most people up - it's the conversion to active folate that causes the issues. It's on my to do list to look up the Thorne multi's and see if there's one I like.

cs - our stairs are open and the railing is wide, but they're carpeted. Yeah, it's a great look
. So not quite the same (yours seem scarier), but dd didn't have issues with them at all. I think her head got stuck in the railing like once and she freaked out and didn't do it again. I can take a pic if you want to compare. Oh wait. PM me and I'll link you to the commercial for dh's iphone app. it's got the stairs in the background

Re bolded:
: I remember DS1 doing that while we were visiting a friend once when he was about 2.

To clarify: The conversion to folinic acid is not what trips most people up but somewhere from folinic acid to 5-MTHF, correct? I believe there is another mutation I was reading out which does trip up the conversion to folinic acid though...

1 - 20 of 367 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.