Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,040 Posts
Hope everyone is doing well. It's finally feeling like summer here, we might hit 80°F today for the first time. I'm dreading it, along with the humidity!

I'm having my Level II U/S tomorrow afternoon, super excited about that! After over a month of waiting, it's about time! I feel like I'm the last in the group to have mine done! That's what I hate most about being due at the end of the month, all the exciting milestones & stuff is old news by then.

·
Premium Member
8,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama~Love View Post

Hope everyone is doing well. It's finally feeling like summer here, we might hit 80°F today for the first time. I'm dreading it, along with the humidity!
LOL.... it's been in the 90's here for the last couple weeks. I've been dying in this heat! I try to take ds outside in the morning (we're getting ready to head out now) and then we stay in for the bulk of the day. I have, starting yesterday, enacted a "resting time" in the afternoon. DS has to go to his bed (with some books if he wants) and rest. This helped me a lot yesterday because otherwise I wouldn't be able to sit down with him home! LOL!

Good luck at your ultrasound!! Are you going to find out boy or girl? Or both? LOL!

·
Premium Member
8,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's been another crazy weekend here. Why does it seem like the week can be so calm and then the weekend hits and it's like a storm that never ends?!

DH and I spent Saturday morning moving *everything* out of ds's room and the nursery. We've crammed most of ds's stuff (boxed up) into the master bedroom and our closet, except all the furniture, which we moved to the garage. Then we tore up all the carpet and padding (and before we even had it all to the curb someone was out there taking it.... lol.... she said she was building a pool and wanted the carpet to put underneath it).

So now here's ds's room

100_6807.jpg

And Sunburst's room. It has ds's headboard and frame in there because we'll be doing the flooring on ds's room first and then we'll move the bed frame to his room and do the baby's flooring.

100_6808.jpg

The areas on the floor that are painted white (which in the nursery you can't really see because it's cut out of the picture) are the areas where there was mold.

So then Saturday afternoon dh went to his soccer game. DS and I didn't go because ds was having an "extra sensory day" (basically he wouldn't wear clothes because the feeling on his body was bothering him that bad). So a couple hours after dh leaves, I get a phone call telling me I need to meet him at urgent care because he hurt his shoulder (he's the goalie so he takes quite the beating at games). Great. So I managed to get ds dressed and got him over there. They basically took an x-ray, said there's a bunch of fluid built up, put him in a sling and sent us home with instructions to go to the orthopedic surgeon this week. So this afternoon I have to take dh to the ortho surgeon to make sure he's fine or see if they need to drain the fluid or what.

And, of course, we had already bought a washing machine that we had to pick up yesterday and get installed. We have a friend who installs these things for a living so he was going to come over and install it for us, but then we had to scramble to get another guy to come over and help move the old one out and the new one in (since dh can't use that arm and there's no way those guys would have let me help). In the end, we got our new washer in and working (woo!). We put the old washer on the curb and it was gone within 20 minutes so that saved us the trouble of disposing of it!

However, now I have to start calling around and see if I can round up a couple guys to help me move all the furniture back into the two bedrooms once the flooring is installed, since dh can't help with that.
dizzy.gif
I'm sure it won't be too hard- most of our friends are very protective of pregnant woman and will help out with anything I ask since they know I'm stubborn and will just do it myself if I can't get help
lol.gif

·
Premium Member
6,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephandOwen View Post

LOL.... it's been in the 90's here for the last couple weeks. I've been dying in this heat! I try to take ds outside in the morning (we're getting ready to head out now) and then we stay in for the bulk of the day. I have, starting yesterday, enacted a "resting time" in the afternoon. DS has to go to his bed (with some books if he wants) and rest. This helped me a lot yesterday because otherwise I wouldn't be able to sit down with him home! LOL!

Good luck at your ultrasound!! Are you going to find out boy or girl? Or both? LOL!
We hope to find out! Oh, I can't wait!

We've had frost here at night just the other morning. Oh well, the longer it stays cool, the less days it will be scorching hot! What a great idea on the afternoon rest times.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Steph, sounds craaaayyyzzzyyy. The nice thing is that you have so many people who've shopped at your "street mart". I mean, old carpeting? Who takes old carpeting?! Oh, and rest time is great. Now that DS's naps are spotty, if I need a break, I send him upstairs for 40 minutes and set a timer. He can look at books or dress himself up and when the timer goes off he comes downstairs for a treat. Works out.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I think we need a bigger house.

Well, really what I need is someone who can clean out the room that will be the baby's room...which has been the office/library/cat room for the last 8 years....and actually find places to put all the things we want to keep (including the cat, I suppose). This is feeling like an exceedingly tedious job. We've already relocated 4 tall bookshelves and a filing cabinet and all our computer stuff. But, now it's a matter of going through all this...crap?...on a fifth bookshelf and in a desk and in a scary scary closet and finding homes for everything. I'm trying to do at least a little bit each day, telling myself "Whatever I do today is one less thing I have to do another day." We want the room cleared out, scrubbed from floor to ceiling to closet, and painted by the time DH goes away for 2 weeks at the end of August. BLAH!

Other than that, I'm doing good. Hoping to get to the chiropractor this week. And I think my normal appetite is mostly back -- recipes in cookbooks and magazines actually are looking pretty appetizing to me now.

And looking forward to Friday's ultrasound. They said the appt. would be an hour. DH and I felt like that was longer than we remember it being for DS (at a different hospital). How long were your "20 week" ultrasounds? Do you think part of that is talking at the end? Not just subjecting the baby to ultrasound waves for a full hour, I hope!

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
not_telling ... My anatomy scan went on forever! Close to 90 minutes. It might've been shorter, but the little sprout didn't want to show us his heart, so it took a lot of time to wait for him to get into a better position.

Steph ... Here's hoping that a couple of big strong peeps come to help you relocate all the furniture!

Thankfully, dd still naps, but once she's done with it, I will be doing a family rest time too. Good for everyone's sanity!

We moved over the weekend, so I'm in major make-the-place-lovely mode. Hard work when you're pregnant! Lots of BH, which remind me to slow down a bit. A few more weeks of work and I'll be going on leave. Whoo hoo! No more ridiculously long paramedic shifts with way too much lifting and exposure to all kinds of oogy bugs! Yippee! I know I'm ready to leave because all of a sudden I just see germs and filth and potential injury everywhere.

·
Premium Member
8,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by not_telling View Post

And looking forward to Friday's ultrasound. They said the appt. would be an hour. DH and I felt like that was longer than we remember it being for DS (at a different hospital). How long were your "20 week" ultrasounds? Do you think part of that is talking at the end? Not just subjecting the baby to ultrasound waves for a full hour, I hope!
The whole appointment was about 1 1/2 hours I think. But that included the ultrasound and my regular appointment with the OB. I think the actual time in the ultrasound was around 45 minutes, and baby Sunburst was not cooperative with part of the heart she needed to see (nor with wanting us to see his boy parts). So probably 20 minutes was me flipping from side to side trying to get Sunburst in a better position to see the heart part. Probably another 10 minutes was the tech moving baby around, shaking my belly, trying to get the cord out from between his legs!

·
Premium Member
8,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We just got back from the orthopedic surgeon and dh will definitely need surgery
greensad.gif
It'll be something we do this summer, not sure when yet. He gets an MRI done on Wednesday, which should tell the dr whether it's something we need to do *right now* or whether it can wait until later this summer.

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
Steph - yikes.

Starling - I never cared too much about germs until I got pregnant with ds.

It is warming up here - yeah! But the a/c in the car is not working & driving sucks! We're on the highway a fair bit & I just despise driving higher speeds with windows open - it's so noisy!

A friend of mine's midwife had her take probiotics for the last few months of her pregnancy. She said since they started having their patients take them they've had an 80% reduction in gbs+ cases. I looked today to pick some up but was surprised at all the options so now I am at a loss. Anyone know what we should take & how much? I know my ob will think it's hokay so I'm not going to ask him.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I need to remember to take the probiotics. I was strep b positive last time, and somewhere I read (this may not be accurate) that taking probiotics can reduce your risk of that by populating your system with good bacteria.

·
Premium Member
6,040 Posts
Steph - sorry to hear your DH needs surgery
hug2.gif

joy.gif
Today's my U/S
joy.gif
! I was told it could take upwardsof 2 hours, since there's two in there. I don't know if I'll have time to update before I have to go to work tonight, so it might not be until morning!

·
Registered
482 Posts
The best sources I can think of (just off the top of my head) are yogurt and maybe also acidopholos capsules. You can also get digestive enzymes, but I'm not sure if those are the same. DH and I have been making our own yogurt out of regular milk, and then straining it to make greek yogurt (and then using the whey protein liquid to make brown rice). We just figured out how to make it on youtube. After you heat the milk, you add a scoop of plain yougurt, which I think is like a starter sponge for the yogurt, and then you leave it to culture. Depending on how we culture it, it turns out more or less sour, which in my understanding is the probiotics.

This is just the easiest source I can think of- I'm sure there are a ton of others, but if you like yogurt, it is probably a great place to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post

Steph - yikes.

Starling - I never cared too much about germs until I got pregnant with ds.

It is warming up here - yeah! But the a/c in the car is not working & driving sucks! We're on the highway a fair bit & I just despise driving higher speeds with windows open - it's so noisy!

A friend of mine's midwife had her take probiotics for the last few months of her pregnancy. She said since they started having their patients take them they've had an 80% reduction in gbs+ cases. I looked today to pick some up but was surprised at all the options so now I am at a loss. Anyone know what we should take & how much? I know my ob will think it's hokay so I'm not going to ask him.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Steph, sorry to hear your DH needs surgery.

RE cleaning and organizing: I'm feeling a major need to declutter this whole house! It's driving me crazy. I meant to tackle the toys while DH was gone but just didn't get to it. We are very careful about the toys we buy for DD but some friends and my MIL give her so much crap! It has to go! I mostly stash it in the closet after she plays with it for a minute or whatever but everything needs to be sorted. DH and I are also planning to go through everything we have in storage in our storage loft in the garage and get rid of things. Some things will obviously stay like Christmas decorations and baby clothes (can't wait to dig into those!) but other things it makes no sense to keep just to store it forever in a box. We live in a two bedroom house with tiny bedrooms at that. With 4 humans and 2 big dogs it starts to feel small very quickly!

It's been cold and rainy here the last few days. A high of about 50!

DH is done fishing tomorrow night and will fly home Thursday! We can't wait to get him home. I hope the weather cooperates for his flights. It's a pretty regular occurrence for planes to get weathered out here. Crossing fingers!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post

not_telling ... My anatomy scan went on forever! Close to 90 minutes. It might've been shorter, but the little sprout didn't want to show us his heart, so it took a lot of time to wait for him to get into a better position.
Yep, I think mine took about 1.5 hr too, but it wasn't constant scanning - Baby Girl wouldn't give us a good look at her nose and mouth to check for cleft palate, so we had to wait a bit until she moved around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKislandgirl View Post

RE cleaning and organizing: I'm feeling a major need to declutter this whole house! It's driving me crazy.
I am already hardcore nesting. Every corner of this house is getting decluttered - stuff is going out the door every day, haha!

I went through DD's baby clothes last night, sorting out what will work for our Winter baby when she is born. So much fun!! I wanted to see what I had before I spent too much money buying new things. Although, most of what I buy is from Value Village - they always have so many, brand new baby clothes there for next to nothing!

And there has been lots of knitting since we found out it's another girl. I had done some gender neutral knitting but now it's time for pink socks and purple hats
joy.gif

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Oh, I was GBS+ last time, too and would REALLY like to avoid that again if possible. Let's keep this research going...maybe start a GBS thread. I have some probiotic capsules that are a mix of various "good ones," but I haven't been taking them. I guess it's really in the last 3-4 months that it would be good to do that every day...?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi- I haven't been on much lately (well I read but don't take the time to post) now that the weather is finally warm..it went from 50's to 90's in the last week. I will take the heat any day..can't stand the cold, although in August at 8mo preggo I may feel differently. My ultrasound is on Thursday and I can't wait. I am hoping they don't freak because I am bringing my kids and don't have an adult to come along. My oldest can take my youngest into the hallway if need be so I don't think it is a big deal. I am hoping to find out the sex..my first two didn't show themselves though so who knows. I lost all my daycare kids in a span of three weeks for various reasons :( I have been enjoying being a SAHM and the freedom it has given me but I need to find new kids soon because I can't live off the $300 in child support I get a month.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Steph: Sorry about your DH's need for surgery, that sucks!

Mollie: You're not the last one to get a u/s, I haven't gotten mine either. I get to schedule it now, though.

Sue: I'm glad your DH is coming home so soon. Here's hoping for good flying weather!

AFM: So, everything is okay, but I did something today that I don't think is advisable when you're pregnant. I saw a tarp blown out of place in the garden, and I reached through the (metal) garden fence to move it . . . forgetting that I had put a strand of electric fence above that in the spring. The next thing I knew I was hitting the ground, and my head had a sore spot, and so did my elbow. I also had a few scratches from the barbed wire, but nothing serious. I believe I might have been cursing in surprise before I even finished hitting the ground, but I also think I might have lost consciousness just VERY briefly, because I was just falling, not flying through the air, and I have no recollection of the first couple of feet of falling, it felt like I woke up when my butt hit the ground. So I stood up and rubbed my head and my elbow for a minute, and swore. And then I reassured my very worried dog that I was okay. And then I went and watered the chickens, which is what I had been on my way to do in the first place. And then I remembered that I'M PREGNANT. I know it's not a huge deal for a person to touch an electric fence, even one that carries 12000 (yes, twelve thousand, and yes, that is a lot) volts. It's low amperage, it's only 1/3 second pulse, it's meant to be touched by animals until they learn not to touch it - without hurting them. But it did make me fall to the ground, and I wasn't so sure about whether pregnant people were supposed to touch it. So I came inside and tried to find out by googling. Most of what I found did not pertain to my situation, it was mostly about household current (which is MUCH more dangerous), but I didn't find anything reassuring. So I called the healthline (a 1-800 number with registered nurses and computers that have some amount of diagnostic tools). It took about 15 minutes and they asked all kinds of questions (some of which seemed really irrelevant), and then they told me to go to emergency. Even though I already had a prenatal appointment scheduled for just three hours later. So, I did. I was a little worried. I was pretty sure that they current hadn't gone through my uterus, because I'm nearly certain it passed through my head, down my neck, through my shoulder, and exited at my elbow into the metal fence - that would have been a path of much less resistance than through the crocs that I was wearing. Nonetheless, a little worried. And I never feel Babby move during the day, only when I lie down to sleep and keep REALLY still. They checked my heart and listened with a doppler, and Babby's heart sounded fine too. And after that, while I was lying on the bed waiting for the doctor, I felt Babby kick. And then I went to my appointment that afternoon and heard Babby's heart again, and it was fine. Phew! The doctor did ask me to go in again tomorrow just for one more listen, which I will happily do. Anyway, holy crap, don't touch the electric fence!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.