Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some inexpensive covers that would work well with flats/prefolds. I've only been using pockets, but daycare would like to use flats. After all of the $ I've put into pockets, I don't want to spend a whole lot on these. Daycare said that plastic pants were fine with her, but I don't know how breathable these are. Any help would be wonderful!

· Registered
161 Posts
The ones I hear the most are Bummis Super Whisper Wraps, Proraps, and Mother-Ease AirFlows. We have a Bummis Original that we like too. Oh, and Wiggle Worm Bottoms.

· Registered
1,368 Posts
That seems a little weird that she would like to do flats when you have perfectly good pockets.
Have you shown her the pocket dipes and told her they would be all prestuffed and ready to wear? Then all she'd have to do is throw them in the wet bag after use.
It would be a whole lot easier to get her to use what you have and keep babys little bum dry, than move back and forth between PF and pockets.
I used to use pull on snap off pants, made by weebees (no longer around) but www.bluepenguin.biz makes the same thing pretty much, they also do velcro wraps and snap wraps and the prices are good and free shipping.

· Banned
1,289 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MCR
That seems a little weird that she would like to do flats when you have perfectly good pockets.
Have you shown her the pocket dipes and told her they would be all prestuffed and ready to wear? Then all she'd have to do is throw them in the wet bag after use.
It would be a whole lot easier to get her to use what you have and keep babys little bum dry, than move back and forth between PF and pockets.
I used to use pull on snap off pants, made by weebees (no longer around) but www.bluepenguin.biz makes the same thing pretty much, they also do velcro wraps and snap wraps and the prices are good and free shipping.
There are many reasons some people prefer flats over other easier-to-use diapers. Her dcp is used to flats since that's what she used on her own kids and prefers those. I like flats because they are versitile. DS prefers all cotton on his bottom. He protests anything with a stay-dry liner. Everyone has to do what's best for them. It's not "weird" any more than using cloth when sposies are an option is...and we all know how we feel about that argument.

OP: Nylon pull-up covers like dappi pull-ons are going to be better for your babe's skin than the icky gerber vinyl ones at wal-mart. They are a tad bit more expensive, but not much. Regular cotton birdseye flats are great and inexpensive. But she may like prefolds too and those are also great. Dritz pins are way, way better than the gerber ones. She may also be open to using a snappi and since those are inexpensive too, you may want to get one so she can choose what she wants to use.

· Registered
936 Posts
I like wigglewormbottom covers....they aren't too expensive...I think mine were about $9.50-$9.75...something like that but they are nice...fleece on the inside and a print of your choice on the outside....I've never had a leak or a problem with mine and they are soooo darn cute! Lots to choose from and they arrive fast. I like the snaps best but I had a velcro one that is fine too...I just prefer snaps because sometimes the velcro digs into my son's tummy on his dipes/covers.

· Registered
937 Posts
Quote:
Mom2Joseph I'm in love with the velcro covers at www.babybestbuy.com You can buy 12 covers for $31.00. They run a little small. I love these more than BSWW and they even work great on my toddler. I haven't had one single problem/leak/blowout and I use them all day (I use fb's overnight).
i like these, but since they have a cotton outter, can you wear them more than one time? with bummis you can hang them to dry 'til the next wear and they don't smell like pee. it seems like if these get damp they would hold the pee and smell to where you couldn't wear them again.

· Registered
1,772 Posts
My son has some cotton outer covers and the only time they get damp is if he's not changed when he needs to be changed. That doesn't happen often, but has happened while DH was watching him. Anyway, I don't notice the pee smell unless it gets really saturated like if the waterproofness was wearing out.

· Registered
2,623 Posts
The first ones that came to mind were Dappi nylons. Those are nice, and soft nylon taffeta, much better than vinyl ones. I saw some here $4.50 for a 2 pack: http://www.little-lions.com/page3a.html I think the covers ship free or very cheap at least.

If velcro is more your style, then I'd suggest Litewraps, Bummis SWWs, or Proraps. Bummis are higher than the others, and better imo, but I've had great success with Litewraps and Proraps too. Both Litewraps and Bummis covers have a nice, full cut, work great over prefolds/flats, and are durable and dependable against leaks. Proraps aren't as easy to fit over pinned diapers, ime, but they are still very durable and dependable. You can find all 3 types here, and her covers ship free: http://nickisdiapers.com/catalog.php?category=3

· Registered
1,368 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaunam
It's not "weird" any more than using cloth when sposies are an option is...and we all know how we feel about that argument.

I wasn't trying to be argumentative.
Having been a DCP to many babies and toddlers over the years, and used whatever cloth diapers the mothers have provided. I thought it was odd that a DCP would dictate what kind of cloth a mom provided. I've done pins and flats, prefolds and snappis. Had a mom provided pockets ready to snap on I would have used that. Diapering is the parents choice, no one elses.
I'd have though a DCP wanted the fastest easiest way to get it done.

· Registered
15,997 Posts
i for one would rather use prefolds than pockets. i really dislike pockets but am totally comfortable with prefolds.

so cheap covers, if you can find the phone number you can get proraps seconds 6 for about $25. Dappi makes a great pull on and I believe they are $4 for a 2 pack. Alexis featherlight? feather weight? i forget but they are nicve and fairly inexpensive. the great thing about p[ull ons is that they have a great size range.

· Registered
354 Posts
I love the Dappi pull ons and the Bummi pull ons too. I think they are way easier than any other covers I have tried. They hold everything in for my DD and they are cheap. They do stain really easily though.

· Registered
861 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by amandapanda9
I like wigglewormbottom covers....they aren't too expensive...I think mine were about $9.50-$9.75...something like that but they are nice...fleece on the inside and a print of your choice on the outside....I've never had a leak or a problem with mine and they are soooo darn cute! Lots to choose from and they arrive fast. I like the snaps best but I had a velcro one that is fine too...I just prefer snaps because sometimes the velcro digs into my son's tummy on his dipes/covers.
I second these. The prefold stays put in these and they work really well. I LOVE the solid colours but it is fun to have some cute prints too. I think the price is really reasonable. I use the suedecloth inner. I use the aplix option. I am going to be using these with my daycare.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.