Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Didn't know where to post this, please move if this is the wrong spot!!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>DH loves lighting candles & I walk around the house blowing them all out. The scents seem all chemically to me & make me kind of nauseous. I don't mind scents, our house needs something to cover the smell of dirty diapers & spilled food lol, but it's the chemicals that seem to hit my nose when they're burning.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Soooo I want to get him some 'green' candles for Christmas, something I can tolerate & won't blow out on him. ;) This is supposed to be a stocking stuffer so I don't want to spend much money.... Any recommendations for brands/stores/sites that sell nice scented candles?</p>

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
<p>I don't know about brands but if you like nice naturally scented candles, how about beeswax candles?  They're naturally honey scented and its very, very light.  I have a fragrance sensitivity and beeswax candles are the only candles I can be in the same room with. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I've started to make my own candles but previous to that I would find beeswax candles at various farmer's markets, bee/honey farms (darn! I forgot the term for that), and even in my local grocery store. </p>

Reactions: A_Random_Phrase

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
<p>I second the smell of pure beeswax candles.  They smell lovely (and not too strongly), and last a long time.  I have pretty bad allergies with scents -- I always end up with a headache if someone in the room is wearing perfume.  But not this!  They're pretty easily found at farmers markets and natural food stores.  They're not extremely cheap, but two pillar candles will last quite a long time, and should be less than $10.</p>

Reactions: A_Random_Phrase

·
Banned
11,594 Posts
<p>beeswax is the way to go really. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>1. no chemicals;</p>
<p>2. actually cleans the air around you and creates a negative ion environment (look it up, awesome stuff);</p>
<p>3. wax is reusable, since it doesn't evaporate. just melt the remaining and put into jars or whatever with a new wick (cotton), and you have more candles. quite nice really. so, one candle is actually several.</p>
<p>4. if you don't want to make candles, we make wax ornaments that we hang on our nature table's "tree." smells nice and looks pretty too. :)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>inexpensive beeswax candles can usually be found at backyard beekeeper's places. they tend to have an abundance of wax. :) and make candles for cheap.</p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts