Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are about to be hit with a snow storm, and we have no salt, and no money right now... but what are the other alternatives to the pricey salt they sell? Our driveway is slanted, and even when we shovel it, it can be hard to get out when it is icy! Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
We always just use sand (not play sand, I think it is what they sell for making concrete or something). If you want to be very frugal, you can even sweep it up off of sidewalks in the spring or during a thaw and dump it back into your sand bucket for reuse. Also, you should read this article for more ideas:

http://www.thesimpledollar.com/2008/...-ice-and-snow/

I am sending my h to the store for sand today!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Keep a empty bucket and little shovel in your car. WHen a sal truck is nearly empty the last bit that comes out is a big pile. You can just go scoop it into your bucket

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Can you park at the end of the driveway and put something over the windshield so you don't have to scrape?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
We use coarse sand on our concrete steps. We paid a lot to replace them, and the contractor said salt and de-icer would harm the concrete.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by baileyandmikey View Post
We are about to be hit with a snow storm, and we have no salt, and no money right now... but what are the other alternatives to the pricey salt they sell? Our driveway is slanted, and even when we shovel it, it can be hard to get out when it is icy! Any ideas?
I don't have any helpful advice, but now I'm curious how much salt costs where you are? I think here its like $3 for a big bag (10kg??).

·
Registered
699 Posts
There are piles around here (at libraries, town garages, etc) of salt/sand mix free for the taking, you just have to bring a bucket and shovel with you and load it up yourself. Here, you get one five gallon bucket at a time, that's your limit, but I've never seen anyone watching.

Once, my dh bought a bag of salt. I gave him a hard time about it, seeings that we can get it for free. Well, before I caught him, last winter he threw down about half of the bag, it killed the grass in places and also wrecked some of the concrete at the entrance of the garage. Also, if you throw down straight salt, it just melts a straight hole in the ice, and gives you no traction, the sand is what gives you traction. I do not think that straight salt is a good idea and we will not be using that again.

In PA, where my dh is from, they use ashes on the driveways, but I think it looks dirty and icky, and we use our ashes in our garden instead.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.