Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have IGT and am planning to pump once a day from 38 weeks on and after each feeding for the first 4 weeks or so to increase supply. But... we're on a very tight budget and pump rentals are kinda pricey. Anyone have a good online site to rent from?

The cheapest rate locally is $60 for a Lactina and $75 for a Symphony. And the kit is $45....

· Registered
497 Posts
Have you thought about buying a Lactina? I got one on eBay for about $200, then bought a kit separately. It pays for itself pretty quickly compared to renting, and they hold their value really well, so youcan probably resell it for just about as much as you paid for it.

· Registered
6,300 Posts
Just be careful of that pumping while pg, labor probably isn't an issue then, but I would personally just wait till after baby is born. Have you checked your insurance? Sometimes they will cover it, I know Medicaid does. Also, is there a bfing clinic close? The one by me has a sliding scale for things.

· Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My midwife suggested pumping from 38 weeks on since I have IGT, can't really go past 42 weeks as a VBAC, and went past due with DS.
I will check with my insurance.

· Registered
6,300 Posts
Why did she reccomend starting pumping at 38 wks? I wouldn't think once a day would do much for increasing supply, was it more to maybe jump start labor? I have IGT, but I just don't see the point in pumping then. Good luck w/ your VBAC, this will hopefully be my 3rd!

· Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She thought it would help both. In Diana West's new book 'The Breastfeeding Mothers Guide to Making More Milk' she also mentions that expressing colustrum during late pregnancy may be beneficial for IGT. (I'm pretty sure thats where I read it.. but I can double check). Or maybe it was on the MOBI yahoo group...

· Registered
6,300 Posts
Do you have a copy of that book? I preordered it and I'm still waiting on it though it says they have them in now. I hope I get it soon! There's a MOBI yahoo group, off to find it! This is my last day of dandelion and I'm moving on to alfalfa now. I was able to find nettle and red clover at the store, but no oat straw. Are you just going to freeze what you get from pumping, if you get anything? The baby will have Medicaid so I can get a pump after baby is born, but if it talks about it in the book in detail and it seems it will help, I'll get one a few wks before. Baby will be here no later than 39 wks though, so I'm not sure it'll be a big deal.

· Registered
670 Posts
I bought an ameda hospital grade -the elite on ebay.
It wasnt all that pricey.

I didnt find it to work any better than the purely yours.

Play around on this site
http://babylovesyourmilk.com/best-pe...east-pumps.htm

It has a ton of informaton on every kind of pump as far as suction strength, etc

· Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by thepeach80 View Post
Do you have a copy of that book? I preordered it and I'm still waiting on it though it says they have them in now. I hope I get it soon! There's a MOBI yahoo group, off to find it! This is my last day of dandelion and I'm moving on to alfalfa now. I was able to find nettle and red clover at the store, but no oat straw. Are you just going to freeze what you get from pumping, if you get anything? The baby will have Medicaid so I can get a pump after baby is born, but if it talks about it in the book in detail and it seems it will help, I'll get one a few wks before. Baby will be here no later than 39 wks though, so I'm not sure it'll be a big deal.
I got the book off Amazon a couple weeks ago. I read it in 2 days
Most of the info is online but its nice to have a hard copy too. Thats what I showed my midwife when I talked to her about talking progesterone for the rest of this pregnancy. I haven't been able to find oat straw either. I got dandelion, nettle, and red clover on: http://www.swansonvitamins.com/ They were even cheaper than vitacost and $5 off your first order made it free shipping. I am going to freeze anything I get. I think I *may* hand express what colostrum I get before pumping because it would be easier to save it if it goes right into a medicine cup or something. Even if its drops I want it!

· Registered
6,300 Posts
Well, I'm on the list now.
I guess I need to get some Metamucil too, lol. Won't hurt, as I think the Dandelion was ummmm...inhibiting things. lol I e-mailed and my book was shipped Thursday I think so I'll have it soon. As soon as I'm done w/ needing it (well into bfing etc) it'll get donated to my LLL group since low supply is kind of brushed under the carpet like it's a dirty little secret that it can happen.
I'm going to get some Shatavari too. I'm concerned about the fact that it seems to inhibit oxytocin, so maybe I'll start that AFTER baby is born.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.