Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heh, typing that title makes me laugh, but it's true! The last few days I've been noticing my 4 month old is collecting a combination of breast milk and sweat in one of the creases of her neck, and honestly, it smells like a fine, aged Parmigiano Reggiano.

Novelty aside, the skin underneath is looking a little raw and irritated and I don't want it to get worse! I've tried wiping it out with a wet and then a dry cloth, but hours later I look back & it's wet & cheesy again. It really needs to air dry, but her fat rolls won't allow for that unless I crane her head back & she definitely does not like that, nor tolerate it for more than a few minutes.

I don't want to mess with powders. Is there anything I can do to ease the cheese?

· Registered
989 Posts
My babe was smelling more like Annie's mac and cheese than parm but otherwise we've bt. I've taken to bringing him into the shower with me and hold him under the stream while I "spread" the folds with my other hand. And every few days I rub a little baking soda on there first and then rinse.

· Premium Member
3,037 Posts
Yep, we've had the neck cheese thing, not sure what flavor though.... it's kinda stinky, maybe a blue cheese?
After you clean and dry, use a cream with calendula on the redness. Weleda is a great product. But this always makes the redness go away in a day or less, depending on how red it was. Also, if DC will tolerate it, try more tummy time. Holding the head up helps air get to those areas that otherwise never see the light of day. HTH & GL!

· Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by peace_laughing View Post
Yep, we've had the neck cheese thing, not sure what flavor though.... it's kinda stinky, maybe a blue cheese?
After you clean and dry, use a cream with calendula on the redness. Weleda is a great product. But this always makes the redness go away in a day or less, depending on how red it was. Also, if DC will tolerate it, try more tummy time. Holding the head up helps air get to those areas that otherwise never see the light of day. HTH & GL!
Thanks everyone! And the above is particularly helpful. I actually have the Weleda calendula diaper cream, so I'll use that right away! They should advertise this dual purpose - "Also useful in treating Stinky Neck Cheese". And I always feel like I need to do more tummy time anyway, so this is added incentive. Thanks again!

· Registered
348 Posts
we wash and wipe as often as possible.

after we got an amber teething necklace, the redness decreased significantly. the necklace is often jammed in the main fold, so we think it's propping open the fold and increasing air flow in there.

· Registered
1,747 Posts
Yep, another mac&cheese baby here, and it's developing a rash with lots of little bumps, no matter how hard I work to keep it clean. I was thinking of trying some slippery elm on it, but haven't done anything but water so far.

· Registered
455 Posts
Glad to see this asked - the whole reason I bathed LO tonight was to attack her cheese neck! My partner is out of town, and we were a sight...she has some serious triple-chin action, and we were a sight. Getting in there while bathing her myself is not easy - especially now that she wants to sit up all the time and strains to keep her head foreward.

Good tip on the zinc oxide...I'll try some Boudreaux's!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.