Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's very difficult to find raw milk in Hawaii where I live. I've noticed the supermarkets carry cheese made from raw milk. The cheese is often aged 60 days or more (is that a requirement that cheese made from non-pastuerized milk has to follow?). Will I get any of the raw milk benefits from eating such cheese?

TIA!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,249 Posts
Same thing here. I just buy it because it tastes better. But I would think it's better in that the milk proteins haven't been gibbled up by the pasteurization process, at the very least.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,949 Posts
Yes! All the enzymes. I think that aging cheese 60 days makes it safer to eat. The good bacteria takes over any bad bacteria. My chapter leader told me that some cheese is not truly raw though because they heat it too high when they process it even though they start with raw milk. I know organic pastures is a good brand but I don't know if that is available where you are.

Jen
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,830 Posts
Yes, the 60 day thing is a requirement of the US FDA.

I remember when they passed it...stinkers.

The French think we're nuts, killing our cheese!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,212 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by newcastlemama View Post
My chapter leader told me that some cheese is not truly raw though because they heat it too high when they process it even though they start with raw milk.
Yes. I just found out that Organic Valley's "raw cheese" is NOT raw at all. It says on their site that they heat it at 155 for 15 sec.
: So I need to look for a new source. Aren't most imported cheeses raw? I LOVE real parmesean cheese from Italy, I wonder if it's raw and that's one reason it tastes so darn good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,585 Posts
Yes, Organic Valley heats to 155 because of state requirements and Alta Dena heats to 135. You have to call the company to find out if it is a true raw cheese. European cheeses are a better bet. My local farmer makes his raw cheeses from non medicated cows eating chemical free pasture and only heating the raw milk to 101. His raw cheddar jalapeno is to die for :

www.christiancheese.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,182 Posts
Dang I'm bummed...I was buying Organic Valley. Good thing I CAN get Organic Pastures here, just gotta pay $7 for 8 oz. Man that jalapeno cheddar sounds delish!

I think we discussed it before, but if faced with the choice of raw grain-fed dairy and pasteurized grass-fed (for cheese that would be Kerrygold or Trader Joe's carries a couple varieties) that it is better to go with the latter? I am just making a mental note now in the event I can't affoard everything I can now...what will be the lesser of two evils.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by moneca View Post
Yes, Organic Valley heats to 155 because of state requirements and Alta Dena heats to 135. You have to call the company to find out if it is a true raw cheese. European cheeses are a better bet. My local farmer makes his raw cheeses from non medicated cows eating chemical free pasture and only heating the raw milk to 101. His raw cheddar jalapeno is to die for :

www.christiancheese.com
Moneca,

Thanks for the source on the raw milk cheese - I just ordered 2 lbs. of the white raw milk jalapeño cheese. How spicy would you say that it is? I love spicy, but dh is more into mild/medium flavors. Also have you tried the plain raw milk cheddar flavor and would you recommend it?

I found their website a little lacking in info in regards to the different cheese flavors, so any personal experience you want to share would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
759 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by FiberLover View Post
Yes, the 60 day thing is a requirement of the US FDA.

I remember when they passed it...stinkers.

The French think we're nuts, killing our cheese!
Not just the French....(sigh) I am Dutch and it was really hard getting used to the weird cheese here....and the bread, meat, water....


But yeah, the rest of the world eats raw cheese without any problems...

Tanya
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
759 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nicolelynn View Post

I think we discussed it before, but if faced with the choice of raw grain-fed dairy and pasteurized grass-fed (for cheese that would be Kerrygold or Trader Joe's carries a couple varieties) that it is better to go with the latter? I am just making a mental note now in the event I can't affoard everything I can now...what will be the lesser of two evils.
I might be missunderstanding this, but my package of kerry gold said "pasteurized" and I thought it was grass fed? am I wrong?

Tanya
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,078 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcarwyn
I might be missunderstanding this, but my package of kerry gold said "pasteurized" and I thought it was grass fed? am I wrong?
Kerrygold butter is made from pasteurized milk from grass fed cows.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,830 Posts
Tcarwyn,

So true!

I lived in England for a long time, and the dairy and meat there was Sooooooooooo much better. Sigh.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What an interesting article!

Ok, if anyone knows the names of some mail order companies from which I can get young, raw milk cheese "by accident" can you please PM me? I don't want the names listed here in case they get caught by the aggressive FDA cheese inspectors who keep us safe from obscure bateria.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,585 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by newmom80 View Post
Moneca,

Thanks for the source on the raw milk cheese - I just ordered 2 lbs. of the white raw milk jalapeño cheese. How spicy would you say that it is? I love spicy, but dh is more into mild/medium flavors. Also have you tried the plain raw milk cheddar flavor and would you recommend it?

I found their website a little lacking in info in regards to the different cheese flavors, so any personal experience you want to share would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Their site isn't the best because George is just a good old salt of the earth farmer who strength is not technology
. His son does the site for him when he has the time. I got him to add the info that they didn't use abx, hormones, pesticides, and pasture fed the cows. He didn't even have that at first!
I think the cheese is perfectly spicy - I'm eating it right now on my salad and have a very slight tounge buzz. It might be a bit much for you if you are not big on spicy foods. Dh and I eat it straight all the time. He has been selling out of the raw jalapeno as he ships it all over the country. I hope you like it - he didn't ever make it until I requested it last summer. If you have a local HF store that you'd like to carry it you can have them contact him to receive samples. You might need to educate them that Alta Dena and Organic Valley are not true raw cheeses. All my friends that have had it around here are hooked. The plain raw cheddar is good - sometimes he ages it over 60 days and it can be very sharp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,876 Posts
I was just coming to ask about how sharp the (plain) raw cheddar is. In my family, cheddar isn't cheddar unless it has some bite, and all of the "raw" cheddar cheeses we've tried so far have been mild.

I really like that he carries "yellow" raw cheddar. My DS2 won't eat cheese if it's not yellow. (Don't ask. Part of his SID issues.) Once again, most raw cheese is white.

Thanks so much for the link and the info!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,585 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kdmama33 View Post
I was just coming to ask about how sharp the (plain) raw cheddar is. In my family, cheddar isn't cheddar unless it has some bite, and all of the "raw" cheddar cheeses we've tried so far have been mild.

I really like that he carries "yellow" raw cheddar. My DS2 won't eat cheese if it's not yellow. (Don't ask. Part of his SID issues.) Once again, most raw cheese is white.

Thanks so much for the link and the info!

If you want it sharp I'd email that info as he can send you some that is quite aged. I wouldn't call as the girl they have answering the phone has very poor English and might not be able to understand the question.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top