Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister just got married, and is interested in TTC. She has been gluten free for about 9 months (due to sensitivity), eats a pretty whole foods/almost TF diet (no liver or fermented foods though), and uses some supps (including a CLO and fish oil, and multivitamin/multimineral, and probiotics.)<br><br>
3 years ago she got 3 or 4 amalgams removed by a regular dentist--no protective protocol used. She has been thinking about chelating (and wondering if she should do it preconception) but really doesn't want to wait 2-5 years b/4 TTC.<br><br>
Do you have any suggestions for what she should/shouldn't do to protect her unborn kiddo from mercury toxicity? If she holds off on the chelating, is there anything she should avoid during this TTC/pregnancy/nursing period of her life? (I'm thinking things like avoiding cilantro, kombucha, etc--mercury mobilizers to protect the possible kiddo...) Any recommendations for vits/minerals to help her protect a future fetus as well?<br><br>
TIA for any info/links you can all share!!

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
Timely question, I just chatted with my HCP earlier this week.<br><br>
She wants me to have 5-6 months of taking nothing that mobilizes, really just focus on nutrition (food and supps), supps that reduce any remaining circulating toxins, and deal with any normal-people low-level problems that are around--for me it'll probably be acupuncture appointments, maybe chiropractic for some, homeopathy, basically stuff to trouble-shoot the little problems before they get bigger and more annoying while pregnant.<br><br>
Clearly the big stuff like good folate status, good B12 status, zinc, mag, selenium, all that good stuff is important. Vit A & D, a happy liver--that's an important one, as much as possible. Milk thistle should help with a happy liver, check into whether it's contraindicated once she's actually pregnant--but using before TTC makes sense to me. And vitC, for me taking it to bowel tolerance 3x/day has been really helpful, and it's been an insight into how I'm doing re: circulating toxins. I'm hoping/expecting to have that in the 4-5 grams/day range for if/when we TTC again.<br><br>
Ideally, if she can do some bloodwork to see where she's starting, that seems like it should help. There were early clues that my body was stressed, my really low cholesterol, I'm sure my vitD would've been low if I'd tested it.<br><br>
So far I'm really sold on cell salts, so far just with bioplasma I'm seeing good results, and Panserbjorne really recommends it in the pre-conception/pregnant stages of life.<br><br>
I'd think she should really think about her health, how it's developed over time, like that. Does she feel healthy? I can understand not wanting to wait for TTC, but if she's worried that there's subtle stuff that's building, well, it's easier to deal with before she's responsible for raising a child. They take a lot of time and energy, even separate from the whole pregnancy/nursing aspect. But not everyone's on the edge of a precipice like I was either.<br><br>
It was a long, busy day, I am way tired, can't tell if this was coherent or not. Back tomorrow. Always glad to hear of people thinking of this stuff before TTC.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
As a first step, I'd do a hair elements test, to figure out if she's dealing with mercury toxicity or not. Not everyone who has amalgams (or removed amalgams) is mercury toxic. I'm not, and I had a mouth full of mercury, several removed in my early 20's, and 3 still in my mouth. But I clearly detox mercury just fine. My mother, on the other hand, was very mercury toxic from her amalgams - so I think figuring out which camp you are in is a really important step.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts