Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,<br><br>
My son is chemically sensitive. Our home is chemical free. His preschool has been awesome about it and bends over backwards for him. He has his own art supplies and snacks.<br><br>
Question....has anyone out there dealt with the public schools on this issue? We live in Massachusetts. DS will be going to Kindergarten in fall '11 and I want to be proactive about it all.<br><br>
Things like regular white board markers, glue, bleach are all things that he cannot come in contact with.<br><br>
Thanks!<br><br>
Gina

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
As long as it has been medically diagnosed (as opposed to being something you have observed but has not been officially diagnosed) the school is required to make reasonable accomodations or if that is not possible or safe for the child they can provide homebound education.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I'm speaking from food allergy experience here...Schools are accommodating teachers are, staff are... but beware of the slip ups and just not understanding the big picture - just today at kindergarten graduation ceramony, at the refreshment table, the one lady said, we put all the peanut cookies on this tray... little did she realize that the other tray had the pecan sandy type cookies on them! A nut is a nut in our kitchen! She and others had went out of their way to make things safe for our son and others but still missed the mark. They were trying, they really were, but slip ups do happen. For now, for us, we are able to be there for the events when food is involved. If we were in a position where the possible contact was everyday I'd be much more outspoken on what can and cannot happen.<br><br>
The best advise I have ever gotten (from a neighbor who has taught special ed) is not just give a list of the can't have's but a list of the cans. So when you give the list of "can't have/be around" also do a list of "cans"

1 - 3 of 3 Posts