Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so this afternoon we were at a friends house and I get this weird pain in my chest, right in the center btwn my breasts. It was not very sharp but more like a pinching pain. I freaked out, I wasn't exerting myself at all at the time, nor for a while before it.

Well here it is hours later and I get the twinge again. And I am scared.

I have never had heart issues, my arms don't hurt, I am not sweating and have no other symptons of heart attack. The pain only lasted a mere minute or so both times.

What should I do? Wait until tomorrow and call my Dr, dh has to go away for work tomorrow or call a sitter right now at 10:30 at night and make dh take me to the ER?

I am really nervous

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The other thing that is freaking me out is that my youngest ds who is 6, is not a very cuddly lovey little man, but tonight he is ALL over me, wanting me to lie with him and he is constantly kissing me.

It is freaking me out a bit like he knows something and wants all the love he can get

·
Registered
897 Posts
Ooh, that is scary! In all likelihood it's probably a muscle spasm or something like that, but it's better to be safe than sorry, right? I'd suggest calling the Dr (that's what she/he's there for - DH doesn't mind a bit when he's called and the earlier the better!) or if you have a local ask-a-nurse line that could be helpful. They can ask questions and based on your medical history let you know if it's serious enough to get checked out at the ER. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks
My dh seems to think that since it has not happened again for many hours that it is probably something I ate.
I am going to call the Dr tomorrow and go in and possibly ask for a EKG. Better safe then sorry. My dad has high blood pressure and also have a stent put in with clogged arteries.

Thanks again for replying

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I'd call a doc, or maybe the ER? Here, I know we have a line you can call if you have a question, and they will tell you what to do, and if you need to go to a doc (they always stay on the safe side and most of the time tell you to go see a doc, but that's another story)

If you are really worried, you should just go.

Hugs to you.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Is the pain improving when you lie down and rest? If so, I think you could probably wait until the am to schedule a doctor's visit. I might still keep Dh or someone else home just so you aren't there alone with the kids if the symptoms get worse.

·
Registered
11,527 Posts
No advice, just hugs. I had something like that shortly after J was born that freaked me out. Luckily I have a long distance friend whose dh is a paramedic so I called and talked to him about it. He was fairly certain that it wasn't my heart so I waited and it went away.

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
I'm sorry you are scared right now. ((HUGS)) I have had chest pains like that for years and years. My doctor has run tests and my heart is fine. She thinks I internalize stress. The episodes do come during stressful times more often than not. Are you under some stress right now that you can't express "out loud." Is your heart beating fast and do you feel restless. It could be an anxiety attack.

I am about to go back to the doctor about my problem because it's back again. I would definately go in tomorrow to your doctor. If it happens again tonight and you feel sweaty or pressure in your chest or dizzy, go to ER.

Your ds is probably picking up on your tension and worry and is feeling insecure himself. My kids always pick up on my tension even when I think I'm hiding it well. They are both horrid right before I start my period. I think I'm fine, then they have a couple of really bad days with behavior, then I get my period. It's so predictable now.

·
Registered
10,091 Posts
how are you feeling this morning? I had that happen and they checked out my lungs and my heart, which were ruled out as culprits. We never did figure out what was going on, but it hasn't come back.

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all of your replies Yes I feel better, both episodes really only lasted about a minute or less. And it wasn't pressure as much as a twinge if that makes sense. I AM under alot of stress right now and am trying my best to deal. I also think it could have been indigestion as we ate ALOT yesterday and last night I had alot of gas ( sorry if that is TMI) from the roof and the basement, and that seemed to make me feel better in general.

I called the Dr and the nurse seems to agree it's not my heart, but I am waiting for the Dr to call me back. I feel much better now but am scared that this will happen this weekend during my show. I have another thing I get in my lung, which felt like this only in a different spot, and I have had that since I was a kid. I have to take shallow breaths until it stops, and that is also from stress. I wonder if the pain was just traveling? It is nerve related

I will post again and let you know what happens, thanks again for taking the time to reply

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
I've gotten those a few times before, and they were scary. I called them heart cramps. I was concerned, too, b/c my family history is filled w/heart stuff/cholesterol/HBP.

LMK how you're doing!

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well the Dr said that it could wait so I have an appointment next Tuesday, with the guy in the practice I don't like, so I may call and change that tomorrow. I felt ok today, took the kids to the movies to get out of the heat.

Thanks for thinking of me, hopefully next week they will do some tests and tell me it's just indigestion!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts